NM Bighorn sheep hunt 2019

Congratulations! Surely it is a small group of modern hunters who have taken a ram with traditional archery equipment.

RCL

WKR
Congratulations on a great ram and getting it done with a recurve.

OP
Felix40

Felix40

WKR
A brief rundown....we glassed up three rams bedded on an open shale hillside. Two of the rams were what I would call shooters but one was a good bit bigger than the others. They were sort of close to the top of the ridge so I decided to try to stalk them. I climbed about 700 feet to get to the other side of the ridge and come down above them. When I peaked over they were looking away and still bedded. The closest I could get was 70 yards. Long story short...I blew them out.

they ran to the other side of the basin but we could see them clearly in a narrow avalanche shoot. I decided to make another play so I hiked back down then back up again on the other side. This time the cliffs were close enough that I could climb along them and get into range. My friends gave me hand signals to tell me how much further and how high to climb. When I looked through my binos and saw a “five” then “zero” I knew things were going to happen. I peaked over the edge and the biggest ram was the highest up. I ranged the rock he was next to at 27 yards. He saw movement and turned to face me. I remember thinking his chest was as wide as a bag target and there was no way I could miss. I took a step closer to the edge, rose up, drew my bow , and shot an arrow into his chest. It was slightly downhill and it exited about where his sternum would be. I saw a lot of blood immediately but I felt the hit was low. The ram ran out to 42 yards and paused before going off a small ledge so I hit him again in the center of the back. He tumbled down a ledge but regained his footing. As he ran I was naturally super nervous but I could see blood coming out of his chest like a garden hose. He made it maybe another 100 yards and that was it. I kept the front shoulders whole and deboned the back quarters. I also took a full rack of ribs out since I will probably not get another chance to try them. We did a full body cape as well. While butchering him a thunderstorm rolled in which made it even cooler.

We decided to camp on a snow drift as it was the only flat spot on the mountain. We camped out a couple extra days and enjoyed country.

Equipment notes in case anyone wonders: homemade recurve 58#@28”, gold tip hunter arrows, 150 grain stinger buzzcuts, and wild turkey feathers.

The ram scores 180 1/8”. I couldnt be happier with him. Im at home now smoking a rack of ribs and trying to decide what to do with the cape.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
So awesome huge congratulations! Thanks for sharing it was a great write up

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Big338

FNG
Absolutely amazing man ! Congrats and thanks for all the pics and story.
Hope to draw a big horn tag soon.