NM Coues Bug

Who is chasing coues in NM this fall?

I caught the bug hard last year with my first coues tag. I had a blast but the final score was coues-1 me-0

I got lucky and pulled another tag! Ready for round 2.

Congrats to all that got a tag!

rootacres

WKR
I hate to answer a question with a question but what tag did you draw? Im trying to track down a rifle tag for Coues and take my father in law on a hunt. Looking in southern AZ right now. Thanks

Fitzwho

WKR
Root - AZ deer draw isn’t due until June, so if you’re wanting to go this fall that’s your best bet. There are some rifle tags that can be drawn with 0 points.

ownthewest - I had the Unit 24 (Silver City area) tag last November. Which unit/season did you get?

Definitely have the bug. I have a NM tag for January and will be Hunting AZ OTC if I don't draw a premium tag this year. I have always hunted AZ for coues, this will be my first year trying NM.

OP
Ownthewest
I hate to answer a question with a question but what tag did you draw? Im trying to track down a rifle tag for Coues and take my father in law on a hunt. Looking in southern AZ right now. Thanks
I ended up with a unit 24 tag. I hunted it last year and swore I would never go back after not seeing a deer during the season. It is a rough, thick unit with low coues density. However, I have family that lives there so I applied again.
I am also looking at southern AZ for a future hunt. Deer density is higher and the terrain is better for glassing.

Good luck on round two! I am excited to be going on my brother in law’s coues hunt in New Mexico this year. We will be returning to the area where I was first bit by the coues bug 6 years ago.

Hunters

FNG
Never have hunted them in NM, but saw a few down there looking for elk. good luck! some of my favorite hunts have been Coues hunts.