NM Elk

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
Good morning all, drew New Mexico archery second season elk in unit 6A. Not looking for anyones spot. Just a starting spot in the unit. I’ll work it from there. Thank you for time. Couldn’t be more excited for this tag.

I would get on Google Earth and pinpoint public land where you can get away from roads. I don't know anything about this unit, but that is where I would start. As you are looking at this unit through Google Earth and surveying the terrain, think like an elk and see where you would be spending your time if you were an elk.

OP
Brooks051

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
Headed out in 10 days. Any last minute advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

dtrkyman

WKR
Heard some bugling in the general area first two days, different unit but close by, I wasn't elk hunting but one bull was going enough to keep tabs on him.

Most places in 6a hold elk even off the main roads. Of course some places won’t have many elk in them due to no feed or water. I like to mostly hunt the area around the San Pedro wilderness. That’s a huge area so pick a spot and walk the logging roads till you decide to venture more into the trees. Once you do that you will more than likely find many other logging roads. They all switchback back and forth and many will tie in together. Anything from the main road up to the wilderness boundary, through it and back down the other side will be good hunting. Lol it’s my favorite unit to bow hunt elk. I just can’t seem to draw it anymore.

OP
Brooks051

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
Most places in 6a hold elk even off the main roads. Of course some places won’t have many elk in them due to no feed or water. I like to mostly hunt the area around the San Pedro wilderness. That’s a huge area so pick a spot and walk the logging roads till you decide to venture more into the trees. Once you do that you will more than likely find many other logging roads. They all switchback back and forth and many will tie in together. Anything from the main road up to the wilderness boundary, through it and back down the other side will be good hunting. Lol it’s my favorite unit to bow hunt elk. I just can’t seem to draw it anymore.
Super rad ! Thank you !! Can’t wait to be out there ! Appreciate the info.