NM Fall Bear hunt - Rookies

I’m planning my first western hunt with 3 friends (first for everyone). We’re planning on first rifle in zone 10/Gila.
A little background on us:
-all newish hunters from Texas. But not new to shooting, game care, or camping
-week long hunt (Sunday-Saturday).
-camp for 2-3days at a time and hike back to trucks for water/resupply
-hunt plan is to scout/find water then adjacent food and bedding.
-I lived in Las Vegas NM for a couple years and am familiar with the terrain. We’re all starting to ruck pretty hard with increasingly heavy packs.

I’m looking for a couple things:
1) general ideas of how to find oak and potential feeding areas in OnX/Google earth.
2) local taxidermy suggestions
3) should I bring my 4 wheeler?
4) would anyone trade intel? Bear for elk or whatever you’re looking for.

I’ve listened to a ton of podcasts about fall bear in other states and only a couple specifically for New Mexico/Arizona. But I’d be interested to find more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pay attention to rain fall. If it’s been very dry, look for water. If it’s been wet, don’t focus on water.

Don’t get hung up on a potential food source. Find fresh bear poop, see what’s in it, and then go find that food source(s). Bears are going to eat what they want when they want; our thoughts and opinions on what they should be eating at any given time are immaterial.

I’d you find any fresh kills, from predators or humans, keep an eye on it. It’s great nutrition for bears.

Plan on glassing where you can and boots on the ground where you cannot. I’ll typically glass for the first and last couple hours of daylight with hitting trails looking for fresh sign the rest of time. Seen bears up throughout the day.

You can try predator calling; be prepared for other animals to come in and how to deal with them in a legal manner.

Learn where to shoot them and how to skin them ahead of time.

OP
jeffhelland
Pay attention to rain fall. If it’s been very dry, look for water. If it’s been wet, don’t focus on water.

Don’t get hung up on a potential food source. Find fresh bear poop, see what’s in it, and then go find that food source(s). Bears are going to eat what they want when they want; our thoughts and opinions on what they should be eating at any given time are immaterial.

I’d you find any fresh kills, from predators or humans, keep an eye on it. It’s great nutrition for bears.

Plan on glassing where you can and boots on the ground where you cannot. I’ll typically glass for the first and last couple hours of daylight with hitting trails looking for fresh sign the rest of time. Seen bears up throughout the day.

You can try predator calling; be prepared for other animals to come in and how to deal with them in a legal manner.

Learn where to shoot them and how to skin them ahead of time.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. We’ll put that advice to good use.

Honyock

WKR
As AZ_Hunter said, study their anatomy and shot placement. Bears vitals sit further back than deer or elk. Middle of the middle and a few inches toward their shoulder.