NM Gila hunt

OP
Mjay

Mjay

FNG
I hunted 16a last year with a bow, with a rifle you should be able to shoot a bull by noon opening morning.... However, if you have never hunted elk I would hire a guide. Like a few people already said, you probably will never draw that tag again so make it worth it.
I’ve been out there like 5 times since I posted this and I’m pretty confident we will fill both tags . Thanks and good luck to everyone this season.

I’ve been out there like 5 times since I posted this and I’m pretty confident we will fill both tags . Thanks and good luck to everyone this season.
Atta boy, good luck and if you have any questions feel free to reach out. Keep us posted!

OP
Mjay

Mjay

FNG
I ended up taking a 5x5 on the 2nd night.My brother in law who attached his application to mine is a cop/swat team leader and we had a murder in our little city and he didn’t use his tag. Me and my wife ended up going together a couple days before the hunt.We seen a lot of bulls and were after a 7x7 but we kept bumping into 2 persistent hunters that needed that bull, we backed off the second day and went for another bull that was hanging out 1/4 mile from my camp. Second morning checked my wind and planned the route I was gonna take to get up the hill this bull was on bugling. First step I take up the hill this bull bolts, bugling while he was running away! I had to go to town after that ( truck was acting up) get to town half ass patch up the truck and hauled ass back to the same hill. Get up there with 45 min of daylight left and no sound, waited 15 min and realized I forgot my bugle and cow calls.I whistled my best bugle impersonation with my back in the direction the bull took off that morning and 2 cows pop out 60 yards away staring straight at me and my wife. After we didn’t move they start to feed and bull shows up! He stares in our direction for a couple minutes then turns broadside, perfect heart shot! He turned to go and dropped! Sorry fuckers I’m putting the whole family in next year . ILOVE IT! With shitty glass , scope that came with the rifle , and DIY with no experience.

Attachments

• 8DF772D6-A779-4168-83F1-6B9ADD450E55.jpeg
    8DF772D6-A779-4168-83F1-6B9ADD450E55.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 39
OP
Mjay

Mjay

FNG
I ended up taking a 5x5 on the 2nd night.My brother in law who attached his application to mine is a cop/swat team leader and we had a murder in our little city and he didn’t use his tag. Me and my wife ended up going together a couple days before the hunt.We seen a lot of bulls and were after a 7x7 but we kept bumping into 2 persistent hunters that needed that bull, we backed off the second day and went for another bull that was hanging out 1/4 mile from my camp. Second morning checked my wind and planned the route I was gonna take to get up the hill this bull was on bugling. First step I take up the hill this bull bolts, bugling while he was running away! I had to go to town after that ( truck was acting up) get to town half ass patch up the truck and hauled ass back to the same hill. Get up there with 45 min of daylight left and no sound, waited 15 min and realized I forgot my bugle and cow calls.I whistled my best bugle impersonation with my back in the direction the bull took off that morning and 2 cows pop out 60 yards away staring straight at me and my wife. After we didn’t move they start to feed and bull shows up! He stares in our direction for a couple minutes then turns broadside, perfect heart shot! He turned to go and dropped! Sorry fuckers I’m putting the whole family in next year . ILOVE IT! With shitty glass , scope that came with the rifle , and DIY with no experience.
When I skinned the head I realized my bull had a monster hole in his nose / that’s why he bolted when he heard me didn’t want to get his ass kicked again!

Spoonbill

WKR
When I skinned the head I realized my bull had a monster hole in his nose / that’s why he bolted when he heard me didn’t want to get his ass kicked again!
That’s awesome, congrats on the bull. It’s awesome to see a new hunter be successful.
Now you got experience to figure out what gear worked/didn’t work and prioritize what to upgrade and what to keep.
Smart move bringing your wife, most of my married buddies have to explain to their wives why they are gone so much during hunting season.