NM Goat Down

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
It was the hardest pronghorn hunt I’ve done. A lot of the county roads I was planning on using for access were abandoned by the county, resulting in me not being able to get to about half of locations I was hoping. Compounding the issue further, the goat numbers seemed low and the bucks were insanely skittish even at over half a mile away.

For him individually, I was making a move on a pronghorn about 1000 yds away across a ravine from me. While working way to it, crested a hill and he spotted me. Squatted down and he was fixated on us about to bolt. In act of desperation, grabbed a game bag out of my pack and flicked it in the air to make him think he saw a doe. Luckily, it worked and he dropped down into draw. Was able to see him working towards my direction towards a saddle. Got a quick range at 70yds. In short order, he crested and I sent it. Next thing I knew I had my biggest goat to date.
Thats awesome, quick thinking using the game bag to draw him in, I will have to remember that. Had a similar situation where I quickly put my bino's on top of my head trying to resemble a buck and it worked, antelope charged in to 25 yards for an easy shot. Wasn't near as big as yours though!! Congrats

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I had a tag as well. I’ve never hunted NM antelope but only saw about 7 bucks in 6 days. I had talked to a previous tag holder who said the unit was crawling with them. I filled my tag but wasn’t the target rich environment I was expecting. Great goat!

Any lessons learned to share on the abandoned county roads? Could you have called the county for an updated map you think? It appears NM has weird laws.

OP
ganngus

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
Any lessons learned to share on the abandoned county roads? Could you have called the county for an updated map you think? It appears NM has weird laws.

I honestly don't know. The abandoned roads were all shown as legitimate roads on onx, gohunt, and google maps. I am not sure how much reception one would get calling the county asking "what county roads have been abandoned by the county in the past few years?"

The ridiculous part, in my book, every single road closure was done over a large stretch of BLM. The road was closed on private and, in every case, private only extended yards on the closed road before reaching the BLM. I am not a conspiracy type of guy, but I have a suspicion the land owners are in bed with the county and trying to keep those large sections of BLM to themselves...

sevenson

FNG
That is badass! Great buck! Congratulations! NM antelope is definitely on my to do list.