NM Habitat Stamp Program (water catchments)

JPD350

WKR
I am on the CAC (citizen advisory committee) of the Habitat Stamp program. The CAC prioritizes the projects for funding which includes maintenance on water catchments.

If there is a particular water catchment that you have seen that needs attention please PM me the details. Be specific with location, fences, water level, any issues! and date that you last saw project. The reason I would like the info is that we are trying to reign in maintenance issues, these projects are owned by the BLM and USFS and they are the ones who tell us what is needed. The BLM and USFS are the ones doing inspections and maintenance, they also want to have funds that are a lump sum or "slush fund" so they can do what they feel needs to be done. This is not acceptable to me, without getting to in-depth I want to see all maintenance funds be site specific and for specific repairs. So the more info I have the more I have to work with, this is about what the BLM and USFS says they need and what funding we say they can have and how they can spend it. I've been getting out and looking at catchments but I can only see so many, again, any info could be helpful if it is specific enough, good working condition is also good information. Don't worry about disclosing the location, I know where almost all of the projects are.

You can air your grievances about the program if you want, I am all ears and I really do want to hear anything, I hope this thread goes on and on with good or bad comments.

JP

If it is a fit for your program posting signage at the water sources with contact info to report the condition and water levels might be worthwhile.
Even if you have good FS/BLM staff they don't have enough time to inspect all of them I'd guess.

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
If it is a fit for your program posting signage at the water sources with contact info to report the condition and water levels might be worthwhile.
Even if you have good FS/BLM staff they don't have enough time to inspect all of them I'd guess.
Most have signs but many are old with no contact numbers, the new signs do have numbers and many people just look at them and move on but even so new signs will eventually be on most of them.
Regardless if the FS or BLM can get to the project or not accountability for project maintenance and reconciliation with public money is a minimum baseline, I want to see our water catchments in good working condition and providing water to the wildlife.
I would think there are many on this forum that hunt in NM and my want is to get their feedback on what they have seen.

I know of some in 34.

None of the ones I have seen in 34 have been functional. Most look like they e been abandoned for a decade or more.

We have carried in supplies to work on one of them but they get damaged by grazing cattle (and possibly elk) easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
I know of a few up north, they may be functional but they need work!

Let me see if I have em marked on a map?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
I think a great place to start would include a new program leader. Sure doesn't look good when many district biologists refuse to apply for money because of the headache he causes.
I can't do anything about replacing anyone but I would like to know specifics. so to be fair to everyone on this forum and to the folks in these departments that are doing a good job, here is the hierarchy. Which department? exactly whom do you accuse of giving the biologist headaches? I am a 100% sure headaches aren't exclusive to the BLM or USFS biologists.
I don't think it matters which district biologist or the "many" biologists you are talking about but we do need to know what the issue is because what you are implying is pretty serious, we are dealing with the health and well being of NM's wildlife. From what I have seen the BLM and USFS is pretty short on funding, one would think that they wouldn't put the health and well being of the wildlife short changed because one person gives them a headache, that seems fairly petty.
I've spent my whole life running all over NM hunting and fishing and have not been happy with what was going in regards to water catchments, I've seen many of them broken and empty and lots that were full and functional so as a public hunter with 45 years of NM experience I'd say there has been a lot of people involved over the years that hasn't done a good job at making this program efficient. (Edit) I wanted to add that there have also been lots of people involved that have done an exceptional job
I just became involved in this program and I am learning real fast what the issues are and I can assure you from an outsider looking in there are issues and headaches on all sides of the fence.

The issue I brought up on this thread is about maintenance of the water catchments and it's the BLM and USFS that are responsible for the maintenance, they literally own these projects no matter who pays for them to be installed, they then want them adopted into the NMG&F HSP and of course once adopted they want/need the HSP to help pay for the maintenance and the program has done just that. My questions and concerns are solely about how things get funded by public money, accountability and reconciliation of public money from habitat stamps should be acceptable to all parties. I just want this program to be efficient and successful.

I would be happy to have a private conversation if you do not want to expose anyone in particular because there is so much more to this picture than what I can type, part of my scope is speaking to the public and I can assure you I will tell it like I see it and my observations are based on facts.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 4.08.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 4.08.41 PM.png
    170.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Is the Habitat Stamp (Habitat Improvement Stamp), which is required in New Mexico to access Forest Service and BLM lands, a state-specific program or a nation-wide program? Do other western states require this stamp and if purchased in one state is the stamp valid in other states? @JPD350

OP
JPD350

JPD350

WKR
Hey, the programs are state specific and all funds go directly to improve that respective states habitat.

I think it's only required if you are going to hunt or fish otherwise you can access those lands anytime you want without buying a stamp

Last edited: