NM Ibex

Hey Everybody,
I just wanted to offer any of you that draw a New Mexico Ibex tag for the Florida Mtns. I would be happy to do some pre season scouting For you just let me know. I live just a few miles away and im up there quite a bit anyway so just send me a pm let me know.

Steve

DIY

WKR
That is my dream hunt and I want to apply for that soon for archery. Would that be a waste? I hear it is nearly impossible with the bow but good draw odds

OP
S
Hey Diy,
I dont think its impossible with a bow, I have been in bow range of them. You need to practice shooting at extreme angles up and down and practice out to 80 yards and be comfortable and confident shooting that far.
The best way to hunt them in my opinion is to back pack to the top and stay. Then you can come at them from above. It wouldent be an easy hunt but it would be big fun.
Steve

Last edited:

DIY

WKR
That is my favorite animal and it looks like the drawing odds are good with the bow. If you draw with a bow will you see other hunters?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Steve if your on top how do you spot them to plan a stalk? This is also on my bucket list so just trying to learn more about them. I thought you covered ground until you found them and planned a stalk. Are they pattern able? Do they stay in the same areas? I heard they are very nomadic

OP
S
Diy, You may see another hunter or two but its not real crowded.
Realunlucky, Thats for sure oneway to hunt them, I have allways had more luck comeing in from the top. This mountain is really steep and bluffs and cliffs everywhere and i just find a good spot and glass down instead of up lol. And yeah they do move alot.
CW_12, Just let me know ill be glad to help, Good luck i hope you draw.I have put in for 15 years and still havent drawn it.
Steve

bradb

WKR
After being on the rock a whole once for the Muzzle loader hunt a few weeks ago....which Steve knows I drew my first year :) I can see valid points to hunting it both ways. To me maybe the ideal way to hunt it would be to camp up top as Steve said, after scouting to see where a group of them is generally hanging out, AND have some spotters lined up to help you from below. We did see groups in the same area each of the whole 3 days I was there. (3 days so take it for what its worth) A truly awesome hunt for an awesome animal. I did have help from a couple friends that had been on the rock a bunch. Bow...well it is doable, but get ready to have your arse kicked. We had some Nannies at about 5 yards, close as we got to a billy was 109. We really didn't try to work for bow range and I did end up shooting mine at a much farther range. The one friend that helped and has been there a ton, been in on a bunch of kills(I think 6 or 7 this year, plus some nannies on the recent cluster puck) He does feel that if you can bed them in the evening they will be in that area the next day.
Better run
Brad

OP
S
After being on the rock a whole once for the Muzzle loader hunt a few weeks ago....which Steve knows I drew my first year :) I can see valid points to hunting it both ways. To me maybe the ideal way to hunt it would be to camp up top as Steve said, after scouting to see where a group of them is generally hanging out, AND have some spotters lined up to help you from below. We did see groups in the same area each of the whole 3 days I was there. (3 days so take it for what its worth) A truly awesome hunt for an awesome animal. I did have help from a couple friends that had been on the rock a bunch. Bow...well it is doable, but get ready to have your arse kicked. We had some Nannies at about 5 yards, close as we got to a billy was 109. We really didn't try to work for bow range and I did end up shooting mine at a much farther range. The one friend that helped and has been there a ton, been in on a bunch of kills(I think 6 or 7 this year, plus some nannies on the recent cluster puck) He does feel that if you can bed them in the evening they will be in that area the next day.
Better run
Brad

I think Brad is right on with what he said....Plus hes a lucky sonofagun LOL.
Steve

Steve - does the offer of a little advice or prescouting still stand? I just learned that I pulled one of the any weapon ibex tags for the Florida mtns. I have never been there so wanted to get started on my research early. If you are still willing, I will shoot you a PM.

Thanks guys. Extremely excited about this tag, I know it will be an great experience. Have had the good fortune to do some great hunts over the years, but this one will be really unique. PM headed your way shortly Steve, thanks in advance for the help!
- Tom