NM mule deer unit 36

ahard.270

FNG
Looking for some insight on mule deer hunting unit 36 in New Mexico. I drew out on a rifle hunt Nov 14-18th. I spent the last couple of days scouting the west side of the unit around fs 120 a and b and fs 443. No luck really. Came across some does and two forkys at the top of 443 but that part of the unit overrun with cattle. Thinking about hiking into white mountain wilderness for better luck during the hunt. Any help is appreciated.
thanks

Looking for some insight on mule deer hunting unit 36 in New Mexico. I drew out on a rifle hunt Nov 14-18th. I spent the last couple of days scouting the west side of the unit around fs 120 a and b and fs 443. No luck really. Came across some does and two forkys at the top of 443 but that part of the unit overrun with cattle. Thinking about hiking into white mountain wilderness for better luck during the hunt. Any help is appreciated.
thanks

How did hunt turn out

OP
A

ahard.270

FNG
Tag soup. Moved around a bit... maybe a little too much. Ended up in a good are east of Capitan. Will hunt there if I draw again

Resurrecting an old thread, but want to see if people have more advice for finding deer in Unit 36. I hunted out there a few years ago and saw lots of does in Nogal area and a few up in the White Mountain wilderness. Curious about other parts of the unit like out by the airport or the northeast quarter of the unit.

OP
A

ahard.270

FNG
Most of the area you are talking about is Ft Stanton. It is only open during the youth hunt I believe. I would get back in the Ranchmans Camp area next time I go back and spend more time in there.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking to hunt 36 one day myself. I hunted elk out there last year and loved it. We saw lots of Muley doe in the low country while moving around in the White Mountain wilderness but only one honest shooter in the high country. He was a good one.

Ahard, are you referring to ranchman's camp road off of 380? Driving by that all looked like good muley country.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
WooHoo, snagged a 2nd rifle tag for Mulies in 36.

Let the E-Scouting and exercise begin.

I’ll be there for the archery hunt in January
I hunted it last Jan. Didn’t draw this year. I missed a stud, but had to hunt extremely hard . Good luck my advice cover country. Rut was early last year and just about over by the 1st but still some action

Last edited: