NM Outfitter Recommendations for Sheep & Oryx

I recognize the odds of drawing a NM sheep tag suggest it doesn’t matter who I use for the draw, as I’m not likely to hunt with them. Nevertheless, a few applicants will get lucky. Planning to apply in the outfitter pool this year and am interested in recommendations for high quality outfitters to consider for both sheep and on-range oryx.

Integrity, quality of guides, stock, gear and food are more important than price. Appreciate your insight.

Wapiti1

WKR
Compass West is who I go through and have hunted elk and deer with. I've been happy with them.

Consider an off-range oryx option. That hunt is getting better as the population has expanded. Not a trophy hunt where you can be picky, but still a good shot at a nice animal.

Jeremy

I can see having an outfitter for a sheep hunt but there is really no reason to have one for an Oryx hunt. Unless you want help in judging them or just want one to put in on the outfitter pool.

Frontier Outfitters is a great outfitter. I've elk hunted with them but can't seem to draw a near impossible sheep tag!

BBob

WKR
I recognize the odds of drawing a NM sheep tag suggest it doesn’t matter who I use for the draw, as I’m not likely to hunt with them.
I'm not sure what you are saying for sure but it seems you are saying you want to apply in the outfitter pool for the better draw odds but won't use the outfitter for the hunt or are you saying you might switch to a different outfitter once you draw? You need to be under contract to enter the outfitter pool, you can change outfitters if you do draw but you cannot draw in the outfitter pool and not use an outfitter at all for the hunt. The NM code/rule says you must hunt your first 48 hrs in the field with the outfitter, after that you can go it alone to finish out the time on your tag if you choose.

2 or 3 sheep tags per unit. Residents & non-residents. 10% non-resident outfitter pool. Literally impossible for a non-resident.

I'm not sure what you are saying ...
Duckcarver is just saying that he probably won't actually draw a tag. No shenanigans in the plan.
FWIW my buddy put in for one of two non-resident elk tags (0.06% draw rate) and pulled it his first try...so these things are highly unlikely, but not impossible. The state-sponsored lotto ticket he bought that day did not win.

TX_Diver

WKR
LOH was giving a free sheep hunt to anyone who drew with them a year or 2 ago. Not sure if they are still doing it but I heard good things about them as a group overall and know they do well for elk and antelope.

OP
duckcarver
Sorry to create confusion.

@RS_Non-Res caught my intent. I understand the outfitter tag requirements and fully intend to hunt with an outfitter in the very unlikely event that I'm drawn. I'm in with Compass West and looking forward to a sheep and oryx hunt this year.

@Short Track is right that the odds are low, but non-residents appear to pull a few tags in the outfitter pool.

Certain that I can't be a lucky one without applying.