NM post-rut rifle hunt - What to do during "midday lull"?

Personally I look forward to the mid day nap. Just a quick one. But it’s nice on an all day thing.

5 days isn’t a ton, but you can burn yourself out on day 1 if you aren’t careful. So I’m a fan of keep moving all day, but enjoy a rest to make sure you don’t burn out

How did the Hunt End up last year? Ill be heading there for Archery Season this year. Ant pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Gila

WKR
1st and last hour and that’s about it. Sitting water is a waste of time. That’s what everybody else has done for the 4 seasons before your hunt. Pattern several herds between the feed areas and the bedding area. If you are looking for a bull, the herd bulls will be back in the bachelor groups again. I get up at 4:00am to get to my ambush point by first light. I go back in, have lunch and take a couple hours in the sack. I am back out at my hunting spot at about 3. If you harvest an elk during the last hour, you will be glad you had your ”nooner”. I have always embraced Newton’s conservation of energy principle Myself. 🛸

Gila

WKR
How did the Hunt End up last year? Ill be heading there for Archery Season this year. Ant pointers would be greatly appreciated!
Oh archery season....different ball game that time of year. Bugling bulls and calling. The cows will go to bed. The herd bulls might leave the cows a time or two for wallowing and water. Some bulls could be on run all day though. Good luck!