NM private ranch elk

Huntndog

FNG
Hi. This is my first post and I need some help. I am looking for a private land elk hunt in the Chama area of New Mexico. No need for a world record ,but a high success rate on a 280 -300 “ bull would be great.
The problem is I want to stay in our travel trailer with my wife and dog. We can stay at Ghost Ranch or would be willing to try another campground that FEELS SAFE and has full hookups.
I have looked at several outfitter’s websites ,but am getting mixed reviews. Please make suggestions .
It is a rifle hunt toward the end of October 2025. Thanks!

Be prepared to pay $15K on low end and $20K + on higher end. Depending on areas the Landowner tag alone will run $7.5K - 15K.
Hunt/guiding on private ranch another $8K. You can maybe get that down a few K if you stay off property and feed yourself.

You might want to check with a hunting consultant like Epic or Huntin fool for Ranch hunts they recommend.
That is a lot of money to pay unless you know it will be a good hunt.

OP
Huntndog

Huntndog

FNG
Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I may not be able to work out the camping thing ,but still need a quality ranch hunt. I only have two points in Wyoming and none anywhere else.
I am 63 and in good enough shape to walk all day,but the comfort of a lodge would be welcome. Cost is not the main consideration .

OP
Huntndog

Huntndog

FNG
Chama Land and Cattle, Quinlin Ranch. Or you can stay in a hotel or Airbnb and hunt the Jicarilla rez.
I was looking at the Ranch at Chama,but it seems like someone said they book way ahead. I’ll try to call…
I couldn’t find much info on the Quinlan ranch except that it’s for sale. Will check Jicarilla.

cmills

FNG
Hello
I just signed up today for rokslide too. I try every year for an elk tag in NM and AZ but am yet to draw a tag. Very difficult which is where the landowner tag comes in like CAElkhunter said. Friend paid 12k just for his tag in NM. I just can’t justify that on a tag.
CO has some good areas with OTC tags as well as Idaho. MT has some outfitter tags as well. Definitely keep getting points in WY, MT, CO. 1st rifle in Colorado is a draw but you could likely draw with no points. 2nd season is OTC. Double H out of Craig has great lodging and great guides. I have hunted with them 3 times. Successful 2 of the 3. Only one I wasn’t I hit a limb I didn’t see at 35 yards with my bow. 320in bull. I was so bummed.
Anyway, good luck if you draw in NM or buy a landowner tag. I’m doing a drop camp this October in CO with my twin 17yr old sons. Looking forward to it.

pirogue

WKR
I’ve also taken wife and dog and stayed at one of the RV parks in Chama. Stayed there a couple times. Hour drive from Chama covers a lot of ground, unless you want to be real close.

OP
Huntndog

Huntndog

FNG
I still haven’t given up on Wyoming. Rough Country Outfitters looked pretty good so far. Having only two points is a problem.
If I can find a good ranch hunt in NM then I was hoping to keep building points.

Beendare

WKR
Theres a NM auction tag at the SLC sports show You might want to check out-

You said money isn’t an issue. Its not governor tag expensive…but its up there. Rifle hunting the rut…so it gets you a really good bull.

OP
Huntndog

Huntndog

FNG
Hello
I just signed up today for rokslide too. I try every year for an elk tag in NM and AZ but am yet to draw a tag. Very difficult which is where the landowner tag comes in like CAElkhunter said. Friend paid 12k just for his tag in NM. I just can’t justify that on a tag.
CO has some good areas with OTC tags as well as Idaho. MT has some outfitter tags as well. Definitely keep getting points in WY, MT, CO. 1st rifle in Colorado is a draw but you could likely draw with no points. 2nd season is OTC. Double H out of Craig has great lodging and great guides. I have hunted with them 3 times. Successful 2 of the 3. Only one I wasn’t I hit a limb I didn’t see at 35 yards with my bow. 320in bull. I was so bummed.
Anyway, good luck if you draw in NM or buy a landowner tag. I’m doing a drop camp this October in CO with my twin 17yr old sons. Looking forward to it.
Thanks. Ill check out Double H.

Laramie

WKR
Go for the Horse Lake Mesa hunt if this is something you might be interested in. I have seen some great elk come out to there. I myself am a meat hunter, cows for me.
I guided on a couple of ranches bordering the reservation. We took a few really good bulls but in general I felt the quality was lacking for the price charged. On the reservation, hunters could really hold out for big bulls.

OP
Huntndog

Huntndog

FNG
Go for the Horse Lake Mesa hunt if this is something you might be interested in. I have seen some great elk come out to there. I myself am a meat hunter, cows for me.
I will definitely have a look