NM Unit Elk Advice (Archery)

Hey All,

New here but hoping to get some advice. My dad just called to tell me he sprung for a Unit 15 tag - hunt of a lifetime for him and I was surprised he did given how expensive they have gotten but he is getting older and decided if not now then maybe never.

He's still in good shape and I'm going to go down with him (Yay for me!) but curious if anyone has recent experience with 15 that they would be willing to share? From my geo scouting I'm leaning towards West side of the unit but haven't spent any time on the ground there.

Hate to be the new guy that comes in and just ask for advice but here we are. I'll see if there are any forums I can contribute to and pay it forward but any intel would be very much appreciated so I can help my dad get a big one down this year!

And I see fires in South Eastern 16E but 15 looks clear for now, any old burn areas that are too new (so avoid) or older burns that are pulling in the elk? Thanks all!

KHNC

WKR
Yes, you are the new guy only asking for advice in one of the most popular elk units in the US. Good luck.

its-groundhog-day-again-reporting.gif
groundhogs-day-meme-3-1024x699.jpg

KHNC

WKR
YEp, hire a guide. No sense wasting such a good tag on a DIY if you dont know a lot about it.

BBob

WKR
Search the fire maps to research historic burns. Do more research to figure out how long after fires burns are viable and best. And yeah just go scout and hunt. That unit holds lots of elk. If you can't manage to find them there you won't find them anywhere.

Trencher

FNG
Fun hunt, you don’t need a guide down there if your physical and know elk hunting there bugle shy in close quarters they won’t stand there ground, locate them slip in silent. Spot and stalk worked great they were predicable in there feeding if not messed with. Get away from roads. Don’t put all your time in looking for water just let the elk tell you where they are, around 4:00 am and just after dark they will let you know. Good luck

OP
C
Thanks all, we're in good shape and will keep working on it until the hunt to increase our chance of success. I wish I could say a guide was in the budget but it's just not so we will DIY. This was something I brought up to pops but here we are.

Here's to more geo scouting and longer hikes with Quikrete in the pack. :)

OP
C
Yes, great unit. Do not overlook the lower country, lots of elk in the unit. Which season is his tag for?
Thanks! It's the later archery. Good to know about lower areas. Drought map looks to support going to the West side this year. At least the unit is not on fire like 16C is right now.

whitetail88arch

Lil-Rokslider
I killed my first elk with a bow there last year completely DIY on the first day. I screwed up on a 315-330 6x6 30 minutes before. Would have liked to hold out with that tag but when you haven’t killed one over two years in MT. Still was on cloud 9 but I might not get to hunt that unit again ever or might be 50-55. Either way you don’t need a guide there in my opinion. I’ll send you a pm with my number. Prolly be easier to just call.
9a67f4d4bcfeeaea82e94c0534f8f813.jpg

Still the coolest trip I have been on yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
I killed my first elk with a bow there last year completely DIY on the first day. I screwed up on a 315-330 6x6 30 minutes before. Would have liked to hold out with that tag but when you haven’t killed one over two years in MT. Still was on cloud 9 but I might not get to hunt that unit again ever or might be 50-55. Either way you don’t need a guide there in my opinion. I’ll send you a pm with my number. Prolly be easier to just call.

Nice man! congrats on the first bow bull, what a beauty! I got my first bow bull 2 years ago and, like you, blew a monster 5x5 the day before. He had these huge tails and gorgeous red/brown color antlers. He still haunts me for all the mistakes I made trying to close him. Oh well, I guess that's how you learn unfortunately. :p

Thanks for the PM - I'll give you a call.

Bergy25

FNG

I drew a tag this year. Got any good tips or hints?