NM unit 16

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glad I didn't draw any Unit 16 tags this year. Biggest firing in NM history has swept through the entire portion of the unit and is heading East. Over 170,000 acres burned already. Not looking good for tagholders this year.

jamaro

FNG
Hehehe.. Keep trying to convince yourself that... ehehehaaheeha... There is plenty of country...

J

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a lot of country, but I apply for 16B and look how much of the unit has been burnt, and look at the direction it is going, with a 5% containment it isn't good.

jamaro

FNG
I have a 16B tag and wasn't even planning on hunting the area that is being burned... SO that is better for me, more elk being pushed into my areas. and we don't have a point system so you aren't losing any ground on drawing next year... Your odds will still be the same....
BTW..I will be doing a video on the fire and tags later this week.. stay tuned...

J

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a 16B tag and wasn't even planning on hunting the area that is being burned... SO that is better for me, more elk being pushed into my areas. and we don't have a point system so you aren't losing any ground on drawing next year... Your odds will still be the same....
BTW..I will be doing a video on the fire and tags later this week.. stay tuned...

J

Except if they close the roads around the burn area (as they have a tendency to do) that concentrates the hunters into that much of a smaller area..

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
And odds are by the time season rolls around the elk will be back in the burnt areas, hunters just won't be able to access as well.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
As of right now the MRI has most of 16B and almost half of 16A closed until 12/31/2012 or until further notice.......

jamaro

FNG
You are making assumptions... As of right know the FS and the Game Commission haven't made ANY decisions about the hunts.. But the more that I think about it you are right.. EVERYBODY STAY HOME.. there are no elk in 16B or 16A...

As of right know it is only impacting the northern boundary road...

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jason, geez I hope you still do get to hunt, no need to be defensive. I don't have a tag and I was pointing out I was glad I didn't draw this year, and that there was a pretty bad fire going on...that is it.

But I am not making assumptions as of right now a majority of 16b and a lot of 16a ARE CLOSED. What happens after the fire is out, is anyones guess.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5370443.pdf

jamaro

FNG
sorry if it came out that way... there is currently a ton of misinformation going around because of what happened at the Los Conchas last year.. The elk will still be there... people just need to relax and not spread rumors.. :)