NM unit 16D 1st archery tag

JadamG21

FNG
I was lucky enough to draw 16D first season this year. I put in with an outfitter. I have killed a couple of pretty good bulls in 36 (first season) as well as CO. I will be in good shape. I’m excited about the tag and looking for info anyone might be willing to share about the unit and or their experience in the Gila. Thank you!

Gila

WKR
Check out my article: “A Gila Elk Hunt”. It should give you the lay of the land anyway. I think you did the right thing to go with an outfitter. Being familiar with where the herds hang out during the different seasons is paramount. Hunting the pre-rut in the Gila takes some special strategy. The second week of your season will put you just that much closer to peak rut. You definitely should get a shot at a mature 6x6. Typically the monsoons will be going on the first half of September. Much of the time the mornings are somewhat dry and the storms kick up in the afternoon. Sounds like you have enough experience to understand what you need to have for gear, clothing and boots.

There is just about any type of terrain that you want to hunt. It is one of those units that you don’t have to beat yourself up to get to the elk. It really is an easy unit to hunt In comparison to other units. If you have not checked yet, the bull to cow ratio is one of the best in the state. It is my favorite unit to hunt elk. I didn’t get drawn this season but I did draw a great tag in another unit. Congrats on your draw, that’s one helluva tag!

OP
JadamG21

JadamG21

FNG
Awesome, thanks for the info. How do I find your article (haven’t learned my way around this site yet).

Congrats on your tag! Thanks again for the info!

Check out my article: “A Gila Elk Hunt”. It should give you the lay of the land anyway. I think you did the right thing to go with an outfitter. Being familiar with where the herds hang out during the different seasons is paramount. Hunting the pre-rut in the Gila takes some special strategy. The second week of your season will put you just that much closer to peak rut. You definitely should get a shot at a mature 6x6. Typically the monsoons will be going on the first half of September. Much of the time the mornings are somewhat dry and the storms kick up in the afternoon. Sounds like you have enough experience to understand what you need to have for gear, clothing and boots.

There is just about any type of terrain that you want to hunt. It is one of those units that you don’t have to beat yourself up to get to the elk. It really is an easy unit to hunt In comparison to other units. If you have not checked yet, the bull to cow ratio is one of the best in the state. It is my favorite unit to hunt elk. I didn’t get drawn this season but I did draw a great tag in another unit. Congrats on your draw, that’s one helluva tag!

Gila

WKR

or click on the search magnifying glass in the right upper corner. Search titles only by user: Gila