NM unit 17

TravKatQ

WKR
Drew a early archery tag! Any info on the unit or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Travis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike123

FNG
Opportunity for big bulls exists but early archery hunts in 17 can be downright brutal with little/no bugling and temps well over 90 degrees in the first half of September. Find remote water sources and you will find the elk. Good luck

Austink47

WKR
I will be down there in October helping some buddies with a muzzle loader hunt. It would be awesome to hear about your hunt. If I come across any pertinent info before your hunt I will let you know.

OP
TravKatQ

TravKatQ

WKR
Opportunity for big bulls exists but early archery hunts in 17 can be downright brutal with little/no bugling and temps well over 90 degrees in the first half of September. Find remote water sources and you will find the elk. Good luck

Thanks for the response, I’m hoping with the heavy moisture year we are having they will heat up a little sooner in September this year.

OP
TravKatQ

TravKatQ

WKR
I will be down there in October helping some buddies with a muzzle loader hunt. It would be awesome to hear about your hunt. If I come across any pertinent info before your hunt I will let you know.

Will do man and ya if you hear of any good info please pm me. Thanks, Travis

OP
TravKatQ

TravKatQ

WKR
Bringing this post back to the top as I’m doing some e-scouting to see if anyone has anymore advice! Anything would help thanks!
-Travis

My buddy who lives in Socorro shows me pics of elk in 17. You should be in for a great hunt! If I wasn't applying for the Gila every year, 17 and 13 would be next on my hit list hands down!

Last edited:

Tgrossi

FNG
I know this is old post but Trav how was your hunt in this unit. I drew january archery mule deer tag. Cant wait.

Tgrossi

FNG
Just got back from unit 17. It was awesome. Density is an issue but no shortage of good country. The biologist was extremly helpful.

Just got back from unit 17. It was awesome. Density is an issue but no shortage of good country. The biologist was extremly helpful.did
Just got back from unit 17. It was awesome. Density is an issue but no shortage of good country. The biologist was extremly helpful.
did you check out the apache kid? il be headed in there this summer to get the lay of the land before this September.

Tgrossi

FNG
Is your tag a mule deer tag or elk tag?
I did check out the southern end of the san mateos.