NM Unit 24 Help

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some last minute general advice for my upcoming hunt. I drew the second rifle tag for Nov. 13-17 for NM Unit 24 in the Gila National Forest. To be perfectly honest, I have no real idea what I'm doing. I'm not a new hunter but new to this region and terrain. I've gotten boots on the ground a few times as I live just south of the unit, but I'm having a difficult time nailing down where to focus.

I have watering holes and creeks all throughout the unit, and can narrow down which ones are too close to roads and which are too far for me to reasonably reach without camping or an atv (I have neither this fall). The creeks all have long ridgelines on either side, each holding thick covered finger after thick covered finger. What other things should I be looking for to help me narrow my focus for the few days I have to hunt?

If anyone has any general advice, or tips for my unit, I would greatly appreciate it.

Fitzwho

WKR
Assuming since you posted on the Mule Deer thread that you have the Forked Antler Mule Deer tag, not the Coues deer tag, correct?

PM me and I’ll point you to a couple spots I saw mule deer when I had the Coues tag a couple years ago.

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming since you posted on the Mule Deer thread that you have the Forked Antler Mule Deer tag, not the Coues deer tag, correct?

PM me and I’ll point you to a couple spots I saw mule deer when I had the Coues tag a couple years ago.
Yes, I have the FAMD tag. I don't have PM permissions yet, is there another way to contact you?

Itsrybo

FNG
Hey there,

I just Joined, I had this tag last year and was lucky enough to get one on the first day. I am going again this year we should connect to keep each other posted while we are out there!

Itsrybo

FNG
Never mind I just realized this was 2021!

I would still love to hear how it went though as I am probably going to the same area I went to last year. I have heard the rain may have messed up a lot of roads this year. Could use some help with a backup plan if you're willing to share.

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Never mind I just realized this was 2021!

I would still love to hear how it went though as I am probably going to the same area I went to last year. I have heard the rain may have messed up a lot of roads this year. Could use some help with a backup plan if you're willing to share.
I’ll shoot you a PM

Itsrybo

FNG
Ended up getting one near the cooked peak area on the last day but it was tough hunting. Saw a bunch of does but few bucks

Did you mostly sit and glass or spot n stalk? Stay in the same area every day or move around? How deep into the woods did ya go?

Itsrybo

FNG
I was about 3 miles from the road when I shot, roads were busy the first couple days and I was up high glassing. Had to work (virtually) so I couldn’t pack in. Didn’t find much so figured I would go deeper. Got in about 2 miles and started seeing more deer, shot the first legal buck I saw(we need some meat) and headed out. Glassing was how I spotted the buck I shot.

Thank you! Tend to stick to trails and then glass a few hundred yards off the trail or just go as deep as you can?

Itsrybo

FNG
Yeah I didnt follow any trails. Mostly just walking below the ridgline and popping up to glass canyons.

What did your days look like? What percent would you say was sitting and glasses vs on the move?

I'm used to mid-west tree stand hunting...this is a whole new world for me.

Itsrybo

FNG
Oh man, I would start with finding high points on the map. Figure out how reasonable it is to get to those spots then hike in. Get up high during the hours before/at first light. Glass for about an hour then if you don’t see anything, move to another glassing point. Towards midday you’ll be looking at the bases of trees/bushes for a glimpse of a deer antler/tail. I would say it’s 75% glassing 24% moving. Then once you find a shooter it’s the 1% spot and stalk.

OP
K

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Ended up getting one near the cooked peak area on the last day but it was tough hunting. Saw a bunch of does but few bucks
I hunted that area last year as well- there’s definitely deer in those mountains but with all the road pressure you have to get in there as deep and steep as you can. Glad to hear you were successful!