NM Unit 30

Well, I drew a New Mexico Unit 30 tag for 3rd choice, not sure why I picked this unit but I was awarded a tag. Curious of unit 30 and if their are decent bucks. Not looking for a trophy buck, just to have a good fun hunt. I read there are lots of road hunters, but thats not me and willing to hike around. If any has any good info of the area, it would be greatly appreciated.

With 1600 rifle tags in that unit you aren’t going to get much specific info. Work the good looking canyons for pockets of deer, don’t forget your glass, and enjoy the scenery, lots of cool geology around there

RILEY L

FNG
I also drew a unit 30 tag. Late Archery. I had a service advise and apply me and got that tag on 3rd choice. I haven't read anything promising about it except NM considers it a premium tag so it cost more for
NR. hahaha. What season did you draw?

OP
T
I also drew a unit 30 tag. Late Archery. I had a service advise and apply me and got that tag on 3rd choice. I haven't read anything promising about it except NM considers it a premium tag so it cost more for
NR. hahaha. What season did you draw?
I applied for the Nov. 12-16th tag. Looks like I be doing a solo hunt in New Mexico. I look forward to camp out, and hunt hard. I might try the north west end of the unit, and hopefully find some decent bucks.

soonerken

FNG
Hunted unit 30 last year. First mule deer hunt. Matter of fact, first western hunt. You'll see deer. If during rifle? You will see lots of hunters and road hunters. It's hard to get away from the crowds. Roads everywhere. Saw tons of sign and a few bucks. There was tons of elk sign. Walked up on a bull. I think you will find that it is tough to glass. The trees are fairly thick in the area we were in and offered little visibility. If you really want to pick apart a canyon someone will come wandering along on the rim at some point. We wanted a do-over and missed the draw this year. We still had a blast. There's lots of land to hunt and tons of deer.