NM Unit 34 Guide recommendations

joek03

FNG
I have always been a DIY guy but drew a guide pool unit 34 bow elk tag in New Mexico. Due to potential loss of job/family health issues I did not anticipate being able to make this hunt happen this year. It's looking like the finances will be there now. Hoping the Rokslide community can point me in the right direction/first hand experience with guides before starting the phone call train. The hunt dates would be September 7-14 for me based on work schedule. Thanks in advance and good luck this fall.

Trial153

WKR
Give GT Nunn a call, not sure if he is hunting 34/36 or he is staying just west of there now. In any event he is a stand up guy.

if you can call, i would go DIY. there ate a ton of elk in the unit. i stopped applying there because my "luck of the draw" weren't so lucky anymore. i drew it my first time ever applying for elk and my very first bow hunt. what a great experience! its what got me hooked on elk. I've since called in a half dozen bulls for my buddy's and their friends. great unit if you can draw it!

KHNC

WKR
Scott Dorris has an operation in 34 also. They kill some nice bulls. But , he may be booked. 864 313 6641

KHNC

WKR
if you can call, i would go DIY. there ate a ton of elk in the unit. i stopped applying there because my "luck of the draw" weren't so lucky anymore. i drew it my first time ever applying for elk and my very first bow hunt. what a great experience! its what got me hooked on elk. I've since called in a half dozen bulls for my buddy's and their friends. great unit if you can draw it!
What should he tell Law Enforcement if they check his tag and license?

I was under the impression you had to be contacted with an outfitter to even apply for those tags. How did you manage to draw one without an outfitter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

although your odds increase when going thru the outfitter pool, its nit necessary. he was one of the very few lucky ones

coues craze

Lil-Rokslider
not sure i understand. unless i am confused. if he drew a tag, he does not need an outfitter. but i could be confused i suppose
He drew in the guide pool so he has to have an outfitter. He also had to have an outfitters number to apply so I don’t understand why not hunt with that outfitter?

fatlander

WKR
He drew in the guide pool so he has to have an outfitter. He also had to have an outfitters number to apply so I don’t understand why not hunt with that outfitter?

That’s what I was getting at. By law, you have to have a signed contract with an outfitter to apply in the guided pool and said outfitter has to guide you for at least the first two days you’re afield.

I don’t understand how he drew a tag from the guided pool without a contracted outfitter.

gotcha, so as i understand it, you have to hire a guide for the first few days and can go on your own after that. i think i heard that the said guide does not have to be with the hunter? just another reason why they should scrap the welfare tags and out them back into the NR draw. free market will decide which outfitters remain, and which ones go broke. i know that pisses some people off, but lets put the blame on low draw odds for the NR DIY hunter where it belongs........

fatlander

WKR
gotcha, so as i understand it, you have to hire a guide for the first few days and can go on your own after that. i think i heard that the said guide does not have to be with the hunter? just another reason why they should scrap the welfare tags and out them back into the NR draw. free market will decide which outfitters remain, and which ones go broke. i know that pisses some people off, but lets put the blame on low draw odds for the NR DIY hunter where it belongs........

If applying for the guided pool, you have to have an outfitter under contract at the time you apply and you have to provide that outfitters official number with application. And someone associated with that outfitter must guide you for at least two days. It’s all right here in the code.

Or you can apply in the diy pool.

OP
J

joek03

FNG
Thanks for the replies everyone. I drew from the guide pool and will be using a guide. I utilized a tag service for this, they have a couple of recommendations but wanted to hear opinions from folks who are not getting a kick back. I do have the release at this point.

You might give Justin Medina at Arrowhead Outfitters a call. He’s right in the middle of 34.

Not blaming the OP and not adding help to finding an outfitter but the fact that these licensing vendors and some outfits who offer 2 days worth of “service” so some people can get better draw odds is frustrating. I was a resident of NM for 45 years and I get having a limit to NR tags but then to further limit those who chose not to use outfitters just doesn’t make sense. Too may loop holes and ways for people to try to make money of hunters. Just my opinion.