NM Unit 34 Guide recommendations

KHNC

WKR
Not blaming the OP and not adding help to finding an outfitter but the fact that these licensing vendors and some outfits who offer 2 days worth of “service” so some people can get better draw odds is frustrating. I was a resident of NM for 45 years and I get having a limit to NR tags but then to further limit those who chose not to use outfitters just doesn’t make sense. Too may loop holes and ways for people to try to make money of hunters. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The real issue is LO tags in New Mexico

KHNC

WKR
you have to be more specific. unit wide LO tags are the real issue. but if thwy did away with those, i would not have a UW LO cow rifle tag in my wallet right now ;)
LOL, you are 100% correct. Unit Wide LO are the real issue. I have no problem with ranch only tags.

OP
J

joek03

FNG
Thanks everyone, Justin appears to be booked for the fall/out of town on a hunt but was able to get in with Compass West. I'll be sure to report back in mid September.

Agdog

FNG
LOL, you are 100% correct. Unit Wide LO are the real issue. I have no problem with ranch only tags.

I bought a unit wide LO tag for unit 52 this year and it will be my first hunt. Anything I need to know about that you’re referencing?

KHNC

WKR
I bought a unit wide LO tag for unit 52 this year and it will be my first hunt. Anything I need to know about that you’re referencing?
The issue is Landowners not using these tags for themselves. Selling them to make a huge profit, instead of what they should be used for. If they were all changed to ranch only, i would be fine with. I have always thought the unit wide tags should be eliminated and put into the regular draw. I know you probably wouldnt be hunting otherwise, but I , and many others feel the same about this. Not likely it will ever change though. Too much money at stake.

Agdog

FNG
The issue is Landowners not using these tags for themselves. Selling them to make a huge profit, instead of what they should be used for. If they were all changed to ranch only, i would be fine with. I have always thought the unit wide tags should be eliminated and put into the regular draw. I know you probably wouldnt be hunting otherwise, but I , and many others feel the same about this. Not likely it will ever change though. Too much money at stake.

Makes perfect sense. I definitely wouldn’t be hunting this trip as this was a last minute purchase and I’ve never participated in a draw. I think that will change for me after this hunt though at which point I’m sure I’ll wish there were more draw tags available to improve my odds.

landondenton

FNG
Classified Approved
Hello did you find a outfitter? Born and raised in 34, have the same tag as you. I’ll be up the last 10 days Ive guided full time for 4 years in 34. Need any help holler

loopmtz

Lil-Rokslider
Only good thing about this is if they have UWT they have to let anyone with a tag for that unit hunt their land.

KHNC

WKR
Only good thing about this is if they have UWT they have to let anyone with a tag for that unit hunt their land.
Hmm, i didnt know that part. So anyone with a tag can hunt land that UWT LO tags are issue on? Interesting.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
yes this is true. If a landowner wants the unit wide land owner tags they have to allow other hunters access to hunt their private land. If landowners don’t want to allow hunting access then they get the LO tags that are “ranch only” and the tags are supposed to be used only on the private land that the tags are issued for. The latter doesn’t always happen like it’s supposed to, there is public land that is landlocked by the private land and I know the landowners also tend to hunt it with their “ranch only” LO tags

Thanks everyone, Justin appears to be booked for the fall/out of town on a hunt but was able to get in with Compass West. I'll be sure to report back in mid September.
How did your hunt go? I'm thinking of going with them this fall.