NM Unit 34

Despite the odds myself and 2 buddies ended up with 1st rifle Unit 34 tags this year. I have poured over paper maps, OnX and google earth. I know there are elk all over the unit and have some general areas picked out already.
If anyone has hunted this unit I’d like to discuss some logistics as far as camping areas, water and if anyone wants to share any spots I’d be very grateful.
Thank you!

landondenton

FNG
Classified Approved
Born and raised in 34. Guided in the unit for elk deer and Barbary full time for 5 years. It’s a great unit on the rifle hunt. I drew first archery. Will be there august 29- September 14

OP
Cahunter805
Thanks for the info. Hoping to get a first time elk hunter a bull as well as have a great time.

glenn

FNG
hunted there alot what spots were you looking at? are u taking a camper or tent some places can't get a camper

rbljack

WKR
Good luck on your hunt. I cant provide much info on the elk hunting there, but I can tell ya that Cloudcroft has some good food! There is a BBq place in town that's real good, and the Western Bar and Grill is pretty cool place too. Queso Burger!!

I’ll be there a week from tomorrow for my buddies muzzy hunt. Last year and the year before and another time or 2 before that, bulls were screaming during this hunt! Can’t wait to call a few in 🏹🏹🏹

rbljack

WKR
I’ll be there a week from tomorrow for my buddies muzzy hunt. Last year and the year before and another time or 2 before that, bulls were screaming during this hunt! Can’t wait to call a few in 🏹🏹🏹
Good luck. Ive been in 36 a pretty good amount, but Ive only rode the motorcycle thru 34 on the road systems...haven't been backcountry up in that area. But yes....in past years, we go up for the Motorcycle rally in September and into early October and its not uncommon to pull up to a scenic overlook and hear the bulls torching off.

OP
Cahunter805
Thank you guys! Packing the truck this weekend and headed out. Any last minute info or tips appreciated

I don't know that area at all. One thing I hear a lot of is "find water, it's been dry". That is true, it has been dry. But, where I hunt has been super dry as well, and there is water everywhere. From creeks, to small runoffs, to bogs, to wallows, to just a stand of reeds retaining water in a basin. Sitting water can work if there isn't much, but I feel like most areas that have elk have lots of water and sitting one spot may lead to a very boring hunt.

If it were me and I didn't know an area well, and it was later season rifle, I'd do what most everyone advises: get up high and glass, glass, glass. That's what I'm doing today...so far I'm a failed archery hunter and failing rifle hunter...so take my advise for what it's worth.

Despite the odds myself and 2 buddies ended up with 1st rifle Unit 34 tags this year. I have poured over paper maps, OnX and google earth. I know there are elk all over the unit and have some general areas picked out already.
If anyone has hunted this unit I’d like to discuss some logistics as far as camping areas, water and if anyone wants to share any spots I’d be very grateful.
Thank you!
New hunter here with a late-season Unit 34 cow tag, did you have any luck? Doing my research to hopefully have a successful hunt and any pointers will be a huge help!

PONYBOY

Lil-Rokslider
Hey All - Have been lucky enough to hunt the early season in 34. This year struck gold again and drew the 10/23 rifle tag. I've never spent any time in the area passed September. couple of questions:

Is there any calling or bugling taking place at this point?
Have you seen hot cows make it to this point in the year?
Are bulls generally going off on their own or they still hanging around cows?

Know the areas I'm going to hunt, just trying to think about how I'm going to hunt. Thanks!

Sean