NM Unit 37 Archery Elk Hunting Partner and/or unit info

TheCougar

WKR
I drew a NM unit 37 archery elk tag (second half of September) and I know another guy who drew an October rifle tag. If anyone also drew the archery tag and might be interested in teaming up for the archery hunt, please PM me. I've been doing butt-in-the-chair research and have found very little about the unit for archery elk, as it is a fairly new hunt. If you have any experience hunting the unit, please hit me up on PM so I can pick your brain as I start looking at maps and talking to the wildlife biologist. Thanks.

jdhmhatch

FNG
I drew a NM unit 37 archery elk tag (second half of September) and I know another guy who drew an October rifle tag. If anyone also drew the archery tag and might be interested in teaming up for the archery hunt, please PM me. I've been doing butt-in-the-chair research and have found very little about the unit for archery elk, as it is a fairly new hunt. If you have any experience hunting the unit, please hit me up on PM so I can pick your brain as I start looking at maps and talking to the wildlife biologist. Thanks.

How did this hunt go? would you recommend 37?

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
How did this hunt go? would you recommend 37?
It is a tough hunt. Low density and the elk are in pockets. Lots of hunting pressure on anything that bugles, since there are fewer elk. I ended up being successful on the second to last day of the hunt, but it was more luck than skill. I had a couple of other opportunities during the hunt, but didn’t capitalize on them. There are some access issues as well, with the north side of the range completely blocked by private. It has better draw odds than several other of the well-known units nearby, but there is a reason for the draw odds being higher - it can be a tough hunt with the elk density, access, and pressure.

Last edited: