NM Unit Rifle

Pasayten

FNG
Got lucky this year and drew a NM tag oct 23-27th. I picked the unit because of the Pecos wilderness and for a new backcountry adventure. I'm from WA and hunt elk and mulies every year, mostly in wilderness areas, so I'm familiar with the trials and tribulations of getting a critter in the backcountry. Ill have help packing meat on this trip, so won't be solo, which is always helpful. I'm always so hesitant to ask for suggestions because I like figuring stuff out myself and am never really worried about having to take the hard route but for some reason I'm feeling anxious on this one. If anyone wanted to share there experiences hunting elk in the Pecos it would be much appreciated. Not looking for any ones honey holes, just maybe a tidbit of info here or there. Thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Pasayten

Pasayten

FNG
Thank you, we are really looking forward to seeing some new country. Its been suggested more than once that we get packed in but for $2000 thats not an option. I've never been packed in to any of the other wilderness areas I've hunted (Frank Church, Pasayten, Chelan/Sawtooth, Goat Rocks), anything particularly different about this one other than maybe elevation that should be concerning? Or have I just never asked about the others on a forum before. I look at OnX about every night and have some ideas I'de like to bounce off anyone who's hunted the Pecos and is willing to share.

DRUSS

WKR
Not sure where you live, but I live at sea level and I do hike plenty around cascades, NE Oregon so up to 7-8k . 10k took some time for my body to adjust. Lots of trails and horses and cattle around.

I have hunted 45 many times. Concentrate on elk coming out at treeline to feed each night very close to dark. They follow the typical pattern of being very close by the next morning like most herds do.
if you glass a herd up, go get them. Not a huge density of elk in there. If you see anything close to a 300 bull. Shoot it. I’ve never gotten one that big. Mainly 270” 5x stuff and loved every minute of it. Have fun

HeathH

FNG
There’s some nice bulls in there deep. Headwaters of the Pecos is aways in without horses, but we killed 3 nice 6x6s in 3 days last time I hunted there. High elevation and steep. I walked through a herd of bighorns one year to get to a velvet Muley at Pecos Baldy Lake.

Huie Ley of the former Tererro General Stote is probably about the most knowledgeable guy on the subject. Retired guide who still keeps a few horses.

AggKat

FNG
Headed up to unit 45 zone 4 for bear in August. Will be my first Backcountry hunt. Should be interesting. Plan on hunting the Pecos also.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I almost bought a landowner tag for that hunt this year, but I've got too many lined up already. Good luck! Post up how you do!

ELKMO

FNG
The later hunt and this dry weather; may not have to go as deep. 300 is a shooter for the Pecos.

OP
Pasayten

Pasayten

FNG
Getting close and very excited! Thanks again to all that replied, hope I can dig one up in there.