NM Unit Rifle

Not really anything helpful but just to add to the excitement, I was hiking around late August glassing burned areas and saw some decent bulls already with cows. I'll be in unit 12 chasing elk at the time of your hunt. Good luck out there!

OP
Pasayten

Pasayten

FNG
Anyone know what the snow situation is in the pecos right now? If any or how much up high. Been watching the forecast and there has been some falling, but warming to the 40's during the day so not sure how much is still hanging around. Thanks

Anyone know what the snow situation is in the pecos right now? If any or how much up high. Been watching the forecast and there has been some falling, but warming to the 40's during the day so not sure how much is still hanging around. Thanks
Looked like the peaks have been snowcapped, but I don't think you'll have to worry about the elk being there.

hunting1

WKR
I hiked to Baldy last weekend and it was nasty! Low visibility and about 6" snow that high. It was just wet below 9K. HIGH winds today. Good luck

OP
Pasayten

Pasayten

FNG
Thanks all for the replies and updates on NM! It was an awesome hunt, saw lots of elk, not many people and about a million big horn sheep! The wife and I hiked in a few days early about 7 miles, set up camp and put in some work. Found a couple herds and watched them to figure out any patterns before season started. The moon was huge, so actually did a lot of moonlight glassing and listening (bulls were still bugling and pushing). My bull fell 9.5 miles in to a 88 yd shot from the 7mag. Really appreciate this animal and the opportunity.

Attachments

• IMG_1368.jpg
    IMG_1368.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_3389.jpg
    IMG_3389.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 231
Last edited by a moderator:

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
Congratulations! That is a beautiful bull. I would have almost hiked in there just for the bighorn pick up.

OP
Pasayten

Pasayten

FNG
Thanks ya'll, I did leave the dead head up there though. I wasn't sure about taking it out of there and didn't want to ruin the whole trip. It was laying like 15 ft from where the bull died which was a cool surprise.

OP
Pasayten

Pasayten

FNG
Not to mention the SOB must have weighed 30 or 40 lbs. I couldn't believe how heavy that skull was. No wonder why those rams are built so damn stout.

Thanks ya'll, I did leave the dead head up there though. I wasn't sure about taking it out of there and didn't want to ruin the whole trip. It was laying like 15 ft from where the bull died which was a cool surprise.
That was the right call as it is illegal to take antlers or horns attached to a skull unless it is on your owned tagged animal (per NMDGF rules). You are supposed to leave it where found and report it to NMDGF conservation officer, but where you hunted big horn are no surprise. Sheds not attached are OK.

Hi Pasayten...I had sent you a PM, but about the same time the moderators deleted an entire thread from someone else that included 4 of my posts. Now I'm under the threshold needed to send and receive PM's. I don't know if you replied, but this is one more post and I'll send 3 more and wait 24 hours. Darn rules.

fmyth

WKR
There’s some nice bulls in there deep. Headwaters of the Pecos is aways in without horses, but we killed 3 nice 6x6s in 3 days last time I hunted there. High elevation and steep. I walked through a herd of bighorns one year to get to a velvet Muley at Pecos Baldy Lake.

Huie Ley of the former Tererro General Stote is probably about the most knowledgeable guy on the subject. Retired guide who still keeps a few horses.
Is the Tererro General Store closed? I used to go up to a friends cabin near the Holy Ghost Campground and would stop at the store.

HeathH

FNG
Yep. Sadly Covid and lack of campers willing to spend money caused Huie and Sherrie to shut the store. I love that place and still go see them often at the house next to the old store.

fmyth

WKR
Yep. Sadly Covid and lack of campers willing to spend money caused Huie and Sherrie to shut the store. I love that place and still go see them often at the house next to the old store.
Thanks for the update. I hope to make it up that way this summer. Will stop by the house and say hello.

Lopy95

FNG
Got lucky this year and drew a NM tag oct 23-27th. I picked the unit because of the Pecos wilderness and for a new backcountry adventure. I'm from WA and hunt elk and mulies every year, mostly in wilderness areas, so I'm familiar with the trials and tribulations of getting a critter in the backcountry. Ill have help packing meat on this trip, so won't be solo, which is always helpful. I'm always so hesitant to ask for suggestions because I like figuring stuff out myself and am never really worried about having to take the hard route but for some reason I'm feeling anxious on this one. If anyone wanted to share there experiences hunting elk in the Pecos it would be much appreciated. Not looking for any ones honey holes, just maybe a tidbit of info here or there. Thanks all
Hey man, any luck in the Peco's? I drew a tag in there this year. Would love to chat!