NM Unit 49 first bow season questions

epicaaron

Lil-Rokslider
I was lucky enough to draw a first season bow tag for NM 49 this year, but for most of the summer I thought I would not be able to make the trip due to work constraints. I've cleared the deck sufficiently to escape for a couple of weeks, and I'm going to try and bomb down from Washington next weekend to make it happen.

I mostly backpack hunt for elk in wilderness areas in Washington and Oregon, and I would really appreciate any general advice for finding elk in this region, especially with regard to elevation/aspect/water. Barring any feedback to the contrary I'm going to run my usual playbook, which is to look for hard to get to north facing areas holding water and not holding people, starting high and working low. I'll be planning on spending 3-7 nights away from the truck at a time once I find productive areas.

Also, it looks like there are a lot of mt bike trails in the area, and I am curious if it would be worth bringing a bike and trailer as tool for getting away from roads, or, should I throw in the dirt bike for covering ground without rattling my truck to death?

I appreciate any advice and feedback!

How did you Fair on your NM Unit 49 Hunt? Im heading there this year for Archery Mule Deer. I've never hunted this far north in the state. just looking for how your trip went. I can Pm you if you prefer