NM unit 50/52 Archery

swampokie

WKR
U guys will have an awesome time. This is a really fun hunt. Trophy quality isn’t quite what it used to be but there are still a few book goats in the area. I wish I had a tag !

We are looking forward to it. Going out two days early to do some scouting. Junior has been practicing out to 150yds but hope to get one under a hundred. I will report back on our adventure hopefully with some good pics.

OP
M

mtntop

FNG
Cool. Have to get your feedback after. May be doing some of it solo.
I’ve hunted it once. Muzzleloader. Not sure why but the goats there are the spookiest goats I’ve ever hunted!

swampokie

WKR
41 will be blazing sun during the day unless one of the frequent thunderstorms hits u. The nights are very tolerable as it cools off nicely every evening

swampokie

WKR
If u were pursued by every motorized vehicle in rio arriba county u would be very spooky as well!!! The muzz hunt in 50-52 really made me feel sorry for the antelope there. DO NOT think that u can find goats a day or two prior to the hunt and pattern them into an opening morning stalk. There will be vehicles side by sides golf carts lawnmowers bicycles and every other form of locomotion known to man chasing them in areas that they were not supposed to drive. The best approach (as u will learn as i did) is to just try to get where they will run and wait patiently. They will run them to u!

Well, that is some good information to know going into it. I guess if we will just have to plan on adjusting when hordes get out. Better to know now and expect it.

swampokie

WKR
The youth muzz hunt shouldnt be near as bad but im sure there will be some ohvs where theyre not supposed to be. Still a good unit and lota goats but they r highly sought after by whatever means necessary