NM success!

Well I had the trip of a lifetime!

I applied for a New Mexico elk tag this year and was drawn--my first time ever applying. I luckily drew one of 4 non-resident tags for unit 53 first rifle which was my 3rd choice. I left from my home in Pittsburgh PA and drove down on Columbus Day to acclimate and scout.

I can't thank my buddies for coming down to enjoy the experience with me enough. Monday was our toughest day putting in 15 miles and climbing some 3,000 feet in elevation. We were fortunate to see a bunch of big horn sheep at approximately 13k. Unfortunately though I was not into elk at all.

As luck would have it, both buddies left on Tuesday and the last day of the season was Wednesday. I could not sleep Tuesday night: my mind was telling me I was either going to have a heart attack climbing up into the mountains solo and become bear/buzzard food or I was going to get an elk--or both. Well the big man upstairs chose option B for me.

I started at the trailhead at 5am at 8100 feet. By 9:35 I made it to 11,300k when I saw 2 elk in a park. Once confirmed they were bulls, I ranged them at 358 yards and was able to make a perfect shot on the lead bull (later found to be a double lung breaking ribs). I was confident I hit him however he really soaked this shot up! This my first elk! My 30-06 165 grain accubond handload was recovered at 147 grains (89%).

Now I was in trouble because I was approximately 6 miles into the Wilderness area with an approximately 600 pound elk I needed to pack out by myself. I was able to take out one of the hind quarters on my back which really beat me up. As I was struggling on my way out, I came across a very nice young couple named Erin and Ross who were hiking with their dog. Once I made it to my truck I noted something on my hood. They were kind enough to leave me a cold beer!

Fortunately I was able to connect earlier in the week with my friend who lives within a few hours drive. I reached out to him and he was able to get me in touch with a packer. The next day he and his son along with their team of horses were able to bring my 5x5 bull off of the mountain.

As an added bonus I was able to catch some wild browns on my flyrod.

Lord willing I get to go back someday. New Mexico was a beautiful place with the kindest people I ever met.

I thank alot of members here since I have learned alot since joining.

Now its time to go back to reality.
6ea30db68fd2c35e9322916def08bb23.jpg
9a427eba288a01d2c6ed91a62309d0c0.jpg
ffb1d1184039d63de6595c70d857dbb7.jpg
4d29d5e0b2068d061435791f4212344e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
Stating the obvious, but back packing elk at that elevation is really tough. Glad you were able to locate a packer.

Mzzy

FNG

I applied for a New Mexico elk tag this year and was drawn--my first time ever applying. I luckily drew one of 4 non-resident tags for unit 53 first rifle which was my 3rd choice. I left from my home in Pittsburgh PA and drove down on Columbus Day to acclimate and scout.

I can't thank my buddies for coming down to enjoy the experience with me enough. Monday was our toughest day putting in 15 miles and climbing some 3,000 feet in elevation. We were fortunate to see a bunch of big horn sheep at approximately 13k in the Wheeler Peak wilderness. Unfortunately though I was not into elk at all.

As luck would have it, both buddies left on Tuesday and the last day of the season was Wednesday. I could not sleep Tuesday night: my mind was telling me I was either going to have a heart attack climbing up into the mountains solo and become bear/buzzard food or I was going to get an elk--or both. Well the big man upstairs chose option B for me.

I started at the trailhead at 5am at 8100 feet. By 9:35 I made it to 11,300k when I saw 2 elk in a park. Once confirmed they were bulls, I ranged them at 358 yards and was able to make a perfect shot on the lead bull (later found to be a double lung breaking ribs). I was confident I hit him however he really soaked this shot up! This my first elk! My 30-06 165 grain accubond handload was recovered at 147 grains (89%).

Now I was in trouble because I was approximately 6 miles into the Columbine-Hondo Wilderness area with an approximately 600 pound elk I needed to pack out by myself. I was able to take out one of the hind quarters on my back which really beat me up. As I was struggling on my way out, I came across a very nice young couple named Erin and Ross who were hiking with their dog. Once I made it to my truck I noted something on my hood. They were kind enough to leave me a cold beer!

Fortunately I was able to connect earlier in the week with my friend who lives within a few hours drive. I reached out to him and he was able to get me in touch with a packer. The next day he and his son along with their team of horses were able to bring my 5x5 bull off of the mountain.

As an added bonus I was able to catch some wild browns out of the Red River on my flyrod.

Lord willing I get to go back someday. New Mexico was a beautiful place with the kindest people I ever met.

Congrats!!!

I can't thank my buddies for coming down to enjoy the experience with me enough. Monday was our toughest day putting in 15 miles and climbing some 3,000 feet in elevation. We were fortunate to see a bunch of big horn sheep at approximately 13k in the Wheeler Peak wilderness. Unfortunately though I was not into elk at all.

Now I was in trouble because I was approximately 6 miles into the Columbine-Hondo Wilderness area with an approximately 600 pound elk I needed to pack out by myself. I was able to take out one of the hind quarters on my back which really beat me up. As I was struggling on my way out, I came across a very nice young couple named Erin and Ross who were hiking with their dog. Once I made it to my truck I noted something on my hood. They were kind enough to leave me a cold beer!

As an added bonus I was able to catch some wild browns out of the Red River on my flyrod.

congrats!!