NM Youth Elk Hunts - Recommendation?

TheCougar

WKR
Out of the youth rifle bull elk hunts in NM which of 16C, 16E, and 23 would be your choice for taking your 13 year old son? The season starts 9 October for the youth hunts. I’m putting 34 as first choice because I’m familiar with that unit. I’m primarily looking at reasonably accessible terrain (foot, ATV, truck) and prioritize quantity over quality, so that it’s a fun hunt where he sees some animals. I appreciate your thoughts, even though it’s a long shot for him to draw a youth tag.

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
I would look at the odds and choose whichever hunt has the best odds out of the three and choose that hunt for my 2nd choice. They are all decent hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I would look at the odds and choose whichever hunt has the best odds out of the three and choose that hunt for my 2nd choice. They are all decent hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The odds are all right around 3-4%, so it’s all a wash for odds... and a pipe dream for him drawing a tag. But we will try anyway!

Laramie

WKR
The odds are all right around 3-4%, so it’s all a wash for odds... and a pipe dream for him drawing a tag. But we will try anyway!
Someone has to draw... love that you are trying for your son. Good luck!

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Someone has to draw... love that you are trying for your son. Good luck!
In a weird way, I enjoy his success more than my own. He really enjoys the time together in the woods and so do I. It’s like I get to hunt right up until pulling the trigger, and then I get to see him enjoy the success of his labors and effort. I’m kinda bummed my oldest daughter hasn’t taken to hunting, but she tried it and decided it wasn’t for her.

Last edited:
I’m kinda bummed my oldest daughter hasn’t taken to hunting, but she tried it and decided it wasn’t for her.
She tried it. All you can ask for with a hobby like hunting. They either take or they don't. My daughter doesn't even really like going into Cabelas with me because of all the animals. I appreciate her respect for them, better than indifference.