No BS Comparison of the Swarovski STC vs the rest of the field.

ben@bpetersondds

Lil-Rokslider
Really tempted to give up my Kowa 77 for the smaller Swarovski or Kowa. Even as light as the 77 is, it was a bitch to pack in last year. Am I crazy for thinking this way? I cannot afford two spotters, so thought the 77 was a good choice, if only going to have one. But it would be so nice to have a lighter weight one.

Kowa 77 isn’t by any stretch a bad choice but if you need the space / less weight the Swaro ATS 65 HD would be angled scope I’d go for. If straight then Kowa 664M.

KingGus

WKR
Really tempted to give up my Kowa 77 for the smaller Swarovski or Kowa. Even as light as the 77 is, it was a bitch to pack in last year. Am I crazy for thinking this way? I cannot afford two spotters, so thought the 77 was a good choice, if only going to have one. But it would be so nice to have a lighter weight one.
The ATS-80 is also lighter than the 77

KingGus

WKR
I've owned both. The kowa is a couple of oz heavier, I did have a photo of them both on scales but can't find them.

I had the ATS-80hd for a long time and was under the impression the 77 was lighter so I bought one of them. I was disappointed to find out the 77 was actually heavier, the build quality (at least on mine) was sub-par, and I thought the optical performance was quite as good as the swaro, so I returned it. I have since swapped the ATS-80hd ou for a Kowa 99 with an x1.6 mag extender. The kowa 99 is amazing and with the extender it you get a top magnification of x112. So I lug that around the hills looking for sheep, goats, chamois, and tahr pretty much exclusively. I highly recommend the 99 if you can handle the extra weight. In my opinion, it's worth it.

I've owned both. The kowa is a couple of oz heavier, I did have a photo of them both on scales but can't find them.

I had the ATS-80hd for a long time and was under the impression the 77 was lighter so I bought one of them. I was disappointed to find out the 77 was actually heavier, the build quality (at least on mine) was sub-par, and I thought the optical performance was quite as good as the swaro, so I returned it. I have since swapped the ATS-80hd ou for a Kowa 99 with an x1.6 mag extender. The kowa 99 is amazing and with the extender it you get a top magnification of x112. So I lug that around the hills looking for sheep, goats, chamois, and tahr pretty much exclusively. I highly recommend the 99 if you can handle the extra weight. In my opinion, it's worth it.
Interesting. I’ve never had them on a scale, but according to specs I believe the kowa is VERY slightly lighter 🤷‍♂️. I give you credit for lugging that 99 around! I recently picked up the 88 and 55. I feel like the 88 will stay close to the truck, and the 55 will live in the pack for me. That 99 has to be phenomenal.

KingGus

WKR
Interesting. I’ve never had them on a scale, but according to specs I believe the kowa is VERY slightly lighter 🤷‍♂️. I give you credit for lugging that 99 around! I recently picked up the 88 and 55. I feel like the 88 will stay close to the truck, and the 55 will live in the pack for me. That 99 has to be phenomenal.
Yeah, I think the weight thing is a common misconception most folks have with the Kowa 77 v Swaro 80. You do save yourself a lot of money for a couple of oz weight penalty!

Yup, the 99 is special. It's in my pack on any mountain hunt. I have a little Nikon and a Kowa 66 for anything else.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the 77 and don't feel it gives anything up to a Swarovski 80. It's the most bang for buck in optics right now for sure.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Roksliders!
The Kestrel ATC Ring Adapter offers a rotating collar with integrated arca swiss mount for your Swarovski ATC Spotting scope. This is primarily made for the ATC, but would be a very stable mount for your STC as well!
Kestrel ATC Ring adapter.JPG

I know you had mentioned another review this spring, any timeline for that? I’m in the market for an ATC/STC but want to wait to see some more reviews first. Would love to have a lightweight spotter.

I know you had mentioned another review this spring, any timeline for that? I’m in the market for an ATC/STC but want to wait to see some more reviews first. Would love to have a lightweight spotter.

It's like these two reviewers aren't even looking through the same scopes...

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

To be fair, we believe the ATS 25-50x eyepiece changes the entire feel and performance of the ATS. I made the mistake of taking the 20-60x on a scouting trip a couple weeks ago, and won't make that mistake again. So in my mind, these are two different comparisons reviews. But I do agree with most of Matt's comparisons of the ATC vs the Kowa 55mm.

OP
S&S Archery (Rob)

S&S Archery (Rob)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That got pushed off a bit, sorry.. Spring bear season is here and all of our weekends are full! We'll try to get these spotters together again in June.

Yep, I think that solidifies the ATC for me. Would love to get a giant ATS at some point but I feel like the ATC fits the niche for smaller packed scope.