No coffee?

BMG

FNG
Thinking about quitting coffee to lighten the load in my pack. No Starbucks via for me. And it would be one less thing to do in the morning.

Three years ago I quit smoking and it was a rough two weeks, coffee can't have that bad of withdraw symptoms?

Has anyone else quit coffee for hunting purposes?

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Not specifically for hunting but hunting had something to do with it. I quit drinking caffeine 2 ½ years ago. I was drinking 2 or 3 cups of coffee, 2 or 3 huge glasses of ice tea, and soda every day. Do not kid yourself I suffered horrific headaches, fatigue, and to quote my kids and students extreme grouchiness. I do not know how much coffee and caffeine you take in a day but good luck. Not consuming caffeine has been one of the better decisions I have made in recent years. I still drink coffee and ice tea but it is now all decaffeinated.

No soda for me. I have an occassional cup of coffee, but not very often. I used to drink it all the time, but got sick of making it in the morning etc... You may get headaches, but if you can quit smoking, you can do anything.

I quit smoking a month ago, I smoked a lot and knew I couldn't go on like that forever. I did it 60% for myself and 40% for hunting... It was tough the first week, a little easier after that and now I am back to good! Like I said, if you can quit smoking, the sky is the limit :)

Mike P

FNG
I seem to be able to take it or leave it when hunting, not a big deal for me...my wife on the other hand NEEDS her coffee every morning. I always make sure we pack it on trips...especially when she is packing a gun...lol

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't necessarily NEED it, but man it sure is nice to have a warm cup of VIA to get things going in the morning. If you do not want to support Starbucks, there are other options for similar micro grounds. I think Nestle makes an "Instant" coffee.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Like Brocka I enjoy coffee when I have it, but if I forget to make it I really don't notice it. I like drinking coffee in the mornings when I'm out more for the warmth than the caffine effect. If its a nice morning and not freezing cold I'll skip it.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't necessarily NEED it, but man it sure is nice to have a warm cup of VIA to get things going in the morning. If you do not want to support Starbucks, there are other options for similar micro grounds. I think Nestle makes an "Instant" coffee.

We bought some of the Nestlé instant last season on sale cheap on Amazon, as the VIAs can be kind of pricey. I didn't think they were quite as good as the Starbucks ones, but they were certainly as good as a cheap cup of coffee you'd have almost anywhere, and they make multiple flavors and roasts. We also found instant coffee packets of Kona coffee when we were in Hawaii on vacation, which were pretty good and might be available online somewhere.

I never drank coffee until I started working 12 hour days at the hospital. I don't really crave it in the mornings (usually drink tea), but often enjoy a pick me up in the afternoon. I too enjoy having something warm in the morning when backpacking, but it doesn't have to be coffee--tea, hot chocolate, and apple cider all give me the same warm fuzzy on cold mornings.

Mike P

FNG
fuzzy

We bought some of the Nestlé instant last season on sale cheap on Amazon, as the VIAs can be kind of pricey. I didn't think they were quite as good as the Starbucks ones, but they were certainly as good as a cheap cup of coffee you'd have almost anywhere, and they make multiple flavors and roasts. We also found instant coffee packets of Kona coffee when we were in Hawaii on vacation, which were pretty good and might be available online somewhere.

I never drank coffee until I started working 12 hour days at the hospital. I don't really crave it in the mornings (usually drink tea), but often enjoy a pick me up in the afternoon. I too enjoy having something warm in the morning when backpacking, but it doesn't have to be coffee--tea, hot chocolate, and apple cider all give me the same warm fuzzy on cold mornings.

Looks like Luke may be replaced by Starbucks...lol

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member

I will agree with you 100% on the Nestle tasting...not as good as the VIA's haha. I like the idea of bringing a cider packet and just dumping a little powder into your warm water in the AM. I think I will try that!

strawman

Lil-Rokslider
I don't need it...but sure do like it. I don't always make time for it first thing in the AM, but will often sit and enjoy a cup or three later in the morning while glassing.

McFly83

FNG
Nothing better than drinking hot coffee watching a big muley/elk through a spotting scope. Plus caffeine allows you to push yourself harder for longer when your playing "elkerobics" or making that 1000 ft ascent on the far ridge for a stalk. I'll sacrifice the ounce.

BuckSnort

WKR
I can take it or leave it.. I usually just take the cheap instant stuff along and if I do drink it it's just black with no sugar...

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I know Folgers makes some coffee in a tea bag. It is way better than the old instant stuff and is already in a convenient crush proof light weight packable container. It is what I used when I had to have coffee hunting.

JNDEER

WKR
Got to have the coffee.

I grew up on folgers and pack instant. Takes me all of about 3 minutes start to finish to have a hot cup of coffee in my hand while glassing. If I have to get somewhere than I usually wake up a little early to get some drank before the hike.

slim9300

WKR
No coffee for me. I try not to drink too much caffeine as lame as that sounds. I know too many people that are dependent on it and without it they get withdraws (ie. migraines / headaches). My wife is a good example. I drink a Red Bull once in a blue moon and it's normally to stay awake when I'm driving across the country in the middle of the night to go hunting or a 10:30pm playoff hockey game on a weeknight. Lol.

Last edited: