No Dog, No Boat Duck Hunting

CAB

FNG
I have been thinking about duck hunting for years now. The biggest thing stopping me is that I don't have a dog and I don't have a boat. I know you can just wade in for ducks but I feel like that limits the locations you can hunt based on the water depth(I could be wrong so if I am please let me know). I have been looking at cheap kayaks on FB and CL to see if I can find anything that would work for a price I would like but nothing so far. I have even thought about inflatable kayaks just to use to get birds and go back but the more research I do on them the more I see they aren't the best option. Do you think I should wait till I can get a boat or just give it a shot and try to find locations I can just use waders?

Okhotnik

WKR
I have been thinking about duck hunting for years now. The biggest thing stopping me is that I don't have a dog and I don't have a boat. I know you can just wade in for ducks but I feel like that limits the locations you can hunt based on the water depth(I could be wrong so if I am please let me know). I have been looking at cheap kayaks on FB and CL to see if I can find anything that would work for a price I would like but nothing so far. I have even thought about inflatable kayaks just to use to get birds and go back but the more research I do on them the more I see they aren't the best option. Do you think I should wait till I can get a boat or just give it a shot and try to find locations I can just use waders?

I would get a used square steered canoe and a trolling motor. I have a boat and a dog now. But Ive hunted without a boat or dog years ago. I sent up dekes or jump shot ducks. I would bring a spinning rod with a big weighted treble hook for birds too far out for waders.

FLAK

WKR
Prolly a good idea to have waders anyway, so I'd start there. I put them on whenever I hunt out of my kayak, otherwise your gonna be soaked.

Reactions: CAB

Vandy321

WKR
Get a boat or a dog. Maybe a pirogue or something else something light. Unless you have some nice little wadable wood duck holes (not likely in FOCO). You're gonna be swearing up a storm the first time you set up on a wadable lake, knock a few down and the wind blows them out away from your spread into the deeper water.

Waders and kids fishing pole with a top water plug to retrieve ducks and decoys...been doing it for years...you can use a regular size fishing pole...I just like the my kid caster teenage mutant Nina turtle one cause it's short enough to fit in my decoy bag. I keep and extra spool of line in the truck..I have a yak and don't use it....YMMV

I hunt ducks regularly and don't always bring my dog and have never actually used a boat, though I've been meaning to get the kayak out. It's pretty easy to only hunt spots you can wade.

OP
CAB

CAB

FNG
I must say some of you guys are quite crafty! Good to see that it's not impossible without a dog or boat.

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
Whatever method you use, please be respectful to the game and only shoot in cases you're guaranteed to be able to retrieve a cripple. I have a hard time with people who kill or wound game hoping they might be able to bring it to hand, vs knowing they can. It's wanton waste.

OP
CAB

CAB

FNG
Whatever method you use, please be respectful to the game and only shoot in cases you're guaranteed to be able to retrieve a cripple. I have a hard time with people who kill or wound game hoping they might be able to bring it to hand, vs knowing they can. It's wanton waste.
totally agree! That's why I wanted to ask about it before just going out and just shooting at ducks.

Get a belly boat (float tube) and fins. I regularly use mine even though I have a dog. I hike in to many spots and those lakes are often deep. Works great. I pack along a low weight foot pump so I don't have to have the tube inflated (usually have to navigate through Russian Olive trees).

You are fort colllins i have shot geese in sight of the CVS in greely from a field in town. So field hunting works. Coworker who used to live there took me out two or three times with my boys year before last.

As far as duck w/o boat or dog that's all I've ever done.
1. Waders
2. Fishing rod with treble hook

If you can hunt small water and / or willing to pass up shots that can get you going. I actually bought a dry suit & PFD and use that for when I am on bigger water along with a damn kids kickboard. That way if I need to take a swim I can. Sounds insane but I am not up for leaving cripples out there. You can do this at two parks in that area...you will get some looks from the guys at the park.

you do not need a dog to hunt ducks. I use a blow up paddle board to get my ducks when we are sea duck hunting. just bought Bote blow up kayak to use instead to make it a little safer, and then my buddies can use it also, they were not coordinated enough to use the paddle board.

OP
CAB

CAB

FNG
You are fort colllins i have shot geese in sight of the CVS in greely from a field in town. So field hunting works. Coworker who used to live there took me out two or three times with my boys year before last.

As far as duck w/o boat or dog that's all I've ever done.
1. Waders
2. Fishing rod with treble hook

If you can hunt small water and / or willing to pass up shots that can get you going. I actually bought a dry suit & PFD and use that for when I am on bigger water along with a damn kids kickboard. That way if I need to take a swim I can. Sounds insane but I am not up for leaving cripples out there. You can do this at two parks in that area...you will get some looks from the guys at the park.
I've actually been very interested in geese since moving here in Dec. Seems like they are everywhere and would be good eats.

OP
CAB

CAB

FNG
Get a belly boat (float tube) and fins. I regularly use mine even though I have a dog. I hike in to many spots and those lakes are often deep. Works great. I pack along a low weight foot pump so I don't have to have the tube inflated (usually have to navigate through Russian Olive trees).
I kind of love this idea, simple, affordable, lightweight and effective. I've used one for fishing so I don't see why it wouldn't work for duck hunting.

WCB

WKR
I've used a regular Kayak...strap a dozen decoys on it and you are good to go....I just throw some camo netting over it (it is bright yellow). Shoot a duck and if you are on a small pond or marsh just let the duck float until you pick up the decoys. otherwise paddle out and grab it. Worse case scenario just paddle in and out to get ducks.

Also, if there are places try pass shooting....get in between where they are feeding or going to feed and where the are roosting. Shoot them as the pass over. Works will on really windy days. Probably the biggest lost art in waterfowling is being a good pass shooter. I have had some of my best days with no decoys just sitting in a tree line, a ditch, or a rock pile, shooting birds a few feet off the end of the barrel.