No Dogs for Deer?

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
Heard from a fella that California is going to stop letting us hunt deer with dogs? They screwed the bear hunters years ago, so I wouldn't be shocked if this is true. I've met many out of state hunters that thought we were crazy when we told them we pushed deer with dogs. Anyone know anything?

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
Yes I heard the same thing. They are also trying to ban lead ammo at shooting ranges.

Azone

WKR
That's a shame if they want to ban dogs. If it wasn't for the dogs a lot cripples would not be found. I got some fond memories of watching terriers and bucks in the brush. Alot of folks would be surprised at how mean a buck can get. This state needs to split up already!

kickemall

WKR
SACRAMENTO – A bill to end the use of dogs to hunt deer was introduced by Senator Ben Hueso (D-San Diego) on Tuesday. SB 1041, Hunting Deer with Dogs Prohibition Act, sponsored by animal advocacy organization Social Compassion in Legislation, will make California the 40 th state to end the practice of using dogs to hunt deer, which currently is the last species of game mammals allowed to be hunted with dogs in the state.

Nothing to stop it from passing in the Democrat majority California Legislature.

bowuntr

WKR
I lived there for 50 years... didn't know it was legal. It's not fair chase for sure. Does the bill cover tracking dogs? Ed F

kickemall

WKR
What I read in the bill there was no provision for tracking dogs nor any distinction between chasing and tracking with a dog. The law currently limits the use of dogs on deer to one dog per hunter and only during rifle season.. I know lots of hunters who use dogs to jump deer but none that turn packs loose for deer drives.

BFR

WKR
I’m all for Grizzlies in Kalifornia, we can ship some down, maybe near Sacramento, San Francisco and Los Angeles. Tejon Ranch needs some too cause the last one was killed near Lebec.

Azone

WKR
Only in California. Surprised they aren't releasing Grizzlies in the nf. With all the nonsense that goes on, it probably won't be long.

Grizzlies in Yosemite, scare people out of there! At least a person might be able to drive over Tioga Pass without having to slam on their brakes 20 times for the selfie stick crowd standing next to, or in the road.

ckleeves

WKR
If running deer with dogs isn't fair chase, how do you feel about hunting bears, cats, rabbits, or pheasants with dogs?

Should we be able to trap deer and elk? I mean you can trap coyotes and raccoons so how do you feel about that? What about running bighorn sheep with dogs? Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squamch

WKR
Should we be able to trap deer and elk? I mean you can trap coyotes and raccoons so how do you feel about that? What about running bighorn sheep with dogs? Gotta draw the line somewhere.

I get your point. Do you get mine? Fair chase is subjective, and normal hunting methods vary by locality. Chasing anything with dogs isn't fair chase in some places, in some people's opinions.

As far as trapping deer and elk, if you could somehow minimize bycatch, and the population could handle it....sure. Sheep, again, if it was practical, and sustainable, why not?
Why is it that at some point we say "Well, it's ok for these ones, but not for these ones."

Azone

WKR

Everyone is going to have their own definition of what is and isn't fair chase. Just because you have a dog hunting deer with you does not make it a slam dunk. Shooting a deer off a corn feeder from a blind suitable enough to pass as a one bedroom home is way less fair chase than trying to get a shot at a buck your dog jumped in my opinion.
I know some people claim to be expert trackers, but your not beating a good blood trailing dog on your best day. Ive witnessed alot of deer being found that people wounded that would have rotted if not for a dog. Some were found dead and some were found alive. I dont like the law change at all mainly for how effective dogs are in recovery of wounded animals.

Okhotnik

WKR

I can mountain lion, bear and wolf hunt in Idaho Wy and Montana with OTC tags. I can legally own a 20 round magazine for my ruger 10/22. I guess I should be able to do the same in Kolorado the new Kalifornia.

Gotta draw the Kalifornia line somewhere eh?

And you wonder why we lose hunting seasons and have firearms banned and confiscated.

Okhotnik

WKR
I lived there for 50 years... didn't know it was legal. It's not fair chase for sure. Does the bill cover tracking dogs? Ed F

What's fair chase? I bird hunt and run grouse, quail chukars with my dog. I guess we should ban hunting mountain with dogs and bear too. Oh and beagle and duck and goose hunting with dogs. Not fair chase. I guess that should be outlawed too along with training wheeled ( compound) bows, laser range finders, any scope over 2 power, lead bullets, elk calls as it is not fair chase. Im amazed at the amount on a hunting site that want to ban hunting and firearms.

Last edited:

ckleeves

WKR
I can mountain lion, bear and wolf hunt in Idaho Wy and Montana with OTC tags. I can legally own a 20 round magazine for my ruger 10/22. I guess I should be able to do the same in Kolorado the new Kalifornia.

Gotta draw the Kalifornia line somewhere eh?

And you wonder why we lose hunting seasons and have firearms banned and confiscated.

You sure can’t run dogs for deer in any one of those states. The difference between hunting upland birds with a shorthair or waterfowling with a lab Vs running deer with dogs are so far from each other it’s laughable and thankfully game and fish in 39 states agree.

Blood trailing I have no problem with whatsoever I think LEASHED dogs should be allowed in every state for recovery purposes.

I have no idea what deer hunting with dogs and gun confiscation have to do with each other I’m lost on the connection there.

Okhotnik

WKR
You sure can’t run dogs for deer in any one of those states. The difference between hunting upland birds with a shorthair or waterfowling with a lab Vs running deer with dogs are so far from each other it’s laughable and thankfully game and fish in 39 states agree.

Blood trailing I have no problem with whatsoever I think LEASHED dogs should be allowed in every state for recovery purposes.

I have no idea what deer hunting with dogs and gun confiscation have to do with each other I’m lost on the connection there.

Every state that has passed gun bans has also shut down hunting seasons. Funny how that works

Well how about running cats ,bears, hogs, coon, rabbits, coyotes with dogs? Different than deer?

Is the terrain in Colorado the same as the thick swamps in Virginia, SC, Georgia?

What is Fair chase?

Azone

WKR

I dont see why some people see it being so taboo. I also dont see why the difference would be laughable either. Hunting with a dog is hunting with a dog as far as I'm concerned. Some people are into blasting deer at 1200 yards with there 8K dollar rifles, some people are into bait piles, some of us may use a dog to jump deer at times.
Our season out here is at the end of summer when deer are very nocturnal, having a dog makes it easier to get them up out of the jungles they live in at that time of year.

I mean if were all gonna be purist and make it fair and square, should we all just start hunting naked and using are fists and rocks? I mean where does the line get drawn? The antis want the line drawn at every thing outlawed, every thing. You give these jerks an inch, they take a mile. End of rant.

ckleeves

WKR
Every state that has passed gun bans has also shut down hunting seasons. Funny how that works

Well how about running cats ,bears, hogs, coon, rabbits, coyotes with dogs? Different than deer?

Is the terrain in Colorado the same as the thick swamps in Virginia, SC, Georgia?

What is Fair chase?

I have deer hunted in the South without dogs and done just fine. In fact all the guys I know in those states can’t stand the dog hunters as the have no trouble running dogs right thru private land and killing everything that’s brown.

Of course it’s different. every single person on the planet assigns different values ( and ethics) to different animals. We poison mice and rats, we don’t poison bighorns or elk in this day and age. We trap raccoons with snares, we don’t snare stone sheep and mountain goats.

Lions are pretty tough to hunt without dogs, no way to control them and meet quotas without them. Coyotes populations aren’t exactly a concern anywhere that I’m aware of.

Deer are not hard to hunt without dogs, if you can’t fill your deer tag without the use of dogs then maybe it’s time to take a step back and rethink your entire strategy.