No Excuses and BH 209 load

nrhardin

FNG
Hey All,

Getting a load dialed in for CO muzzleloader this year. Shooting the 420 gr No Excuses, for reference. I’ve seen in past threads guys mentioning shooting a little less powder since the bullet is so heavy. I weighed out 70 grains for a comparable 100 grain by volume load and shot yesterday. I’m not a big guy but that load kicked my butt. Shot 7 times and had to tap out. I guess my question is are you guys who shoot BH referring to volume or weight? Thinking regardless I’ll go down to 63 grains by weight (90 by volume) for the next trip to the range.

Thanks for any advice.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I loaded up 70gr by volume of BH with 420gr No Excuses to get my Accura V2 into its accuracy zone. Everything above that was not even close to what I expect even at 50 yards. Even with only 70gr though, I'm sure it has enough ooomph to take care of business with those 420's. This was for my daughter, but I'd still use that for me if I had a ML tag instead of an archery tag. For elk hunting I wouldn't expect shots much more than 50 during the rut. For deer I'd probably choose a different bullet.

OP
N

nrhardin

FNG
Thanks guys, really appreciate the input. Looked into a muzzle brake but not sure that’s the route to pursue based on my CVA Optima. Going to tone down the powder and also ordered some 270 grain Bor locks…Scheels finally had them in stock. Next step will be a limbsaver. Based on some reading it seems projectile weight is the easiest recoil savings.

Most of my muzzy hunting will be near water on a private ranch so 50 yards or less, but want to be good out to 125 or so if they’re on the flats.

For BH209 I weigh my charges-- with most CVA rifles I've owned I've found 80-83grains by weight to be a sweet spot (110gr or so by volume equivalent)-- For Colorado I run the Harvester Sabretooth 300gr- made short work of a muley buck and cow elk.

Last edited:
OP
N

nrhardin

FNG
Thanks guys. Going to back down to 90 grains by volume, which is 63 by weight and see the difference. Fell down a rabbit hole of kinetic energy/momentum thought experiments today. Would really like to get a chronograph to assess velocity and make sense of it all.

10bands

FNG
I shoot the same bullet with 90 grains of 777 in my old TC Hawken. It has a brass butt plate. Ouch! I got one of those shoulder pads that you can strap on for range time and it makes a huge difference for me. Made by PAST.