No more Fieldcrafts

robtattoo

WKR
I was up at The Outpost Armory this evening buying some reloading stuff. The Outpost is Barrett's retail store, by the way.
I got chatting with their gun counter manager & looking at a Fieldcraft (I've been lusting after one in 6.5x55......) & he told me that there are no more. Once current inventory is gone, that's it. He said that the company was disappointed with the sales numbers the rifle not being as popular as expected, and production costs didn't leave enough profit to warrant continuing right now.

:'(

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
That's too bad....the one I had for a few months was a 308.....it WAS a shooter for the first 2 shots, but it was very finicky with loading/bolt-closing...some ammo it liked, and some it did not. The bolt also felt dinky to me, and I couldn't warm up to the blind magazine, so I sold it on gbroker to a buyer who was very happy with it. Good looking rifles, and very nice triggers though.

NDGuy

WKR
I was up at The Outpost Armory this evening buying some reloading stuff. The Outpost is Barrett's retail store, by the way.
I got chatting with their gun counter manager & looking at a Fieldcraft (I've been lusting after one in 6.5x55......) & he told me that there are no more. Once current inventory is gone, that's it. He said that the company was disappointed with the sales numbers the rifle not being as popular as expected, and production costs didn't leave enough profit to warrant continuing right now.

:'(
They kinda came at an awkward price point. You have the CA Mesa, Bergara Series, Browning Hell's Canyon and now the Tikka Roughtech all less expensive than them. Plus not a well-known household name.

Not overly surprising but too bad.

brsnow

WKR
For a sub 6lb rifle, they are great quality and shoot accurately. Great fit/finish. I am glad I picked one up before they started to sell at a premium.

eamyrick

WKR
I just picked up a 270 from Whitakers. I built a custom 280 for twice the price last year and you can't touch the weight without a scaled action. NULA and Rifle's Inc charge 3k+ plus for a sub 6lb rille. I'm putting a 6x42 Meopta on mine and its going to be my do everything 400 yard rifle.

TxxAgg

WKR
I just picked up a 270 from Whitakers. I built a custom 280 for twice the price last year and you can't touch the weight without a scaled action. NULA and Rifle's Inc charge 3k+ plus for a sub 6lb rille. I'm putting a 6x42 Meopta on mine and its going to be my do everything 400 yard rifle.

that sounds like a sweet set up. Love that scope choice

I was up at The Outpost Armory this evening buying some reloading stuff.

Was coming back from the range in Manchester yesterday and almost stopped in Outpost for the moving sale. Figured if I did I'd blow money I didn't need to. Anything worth stopping in for?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Was coming back from the range in Manchester yesterday and almost stopped in Outpost for the moving sale. Figured if I did I'd blow money I didn't need to. Anything worth stopping in for?

Nothing super bargain priced (it's the Outpost......) but if you're feeling spendy, they have a beautiful Q Fix in 6.5manbun.

You shoot at Terry Walden's? I haven't been there in ages. Too many random target checkers. I shoot at Strategic Edge exclusively these days.

Nothing super bargain priced (it's the Outpost......) but if you're feeling spendy, they have a beautiful Q Fix in 6.5manbun.

You shoot at Terry Walden's? I haven't been there in ages. Too many random target checkers. I shoot at Strategic Edge exclusively these days.
I was shooting at Terry's that day. I'll shoot at a buddy's farm if he's not tied up. If he is I'll go to Terry's. My best friend has a membership at strategic edge and I'll go there with him whenever our schedules line up. By far the best place around to shoot. Terry's place does scare me on the weekends when there's a bunch of people there. Yesterday I had the whole range to myself

If they started making a medium length magnum action, they'd sell like hotcakes I bet. It wouldn't suck to have one of those for a 6.5PRC/SAUM or other short and fat caliber on a build.

I got one in 6.5 man bun for my wife to use. She is small lady so figured a lightweight gun would be nice to carry around. It’s a cool gun I think

I snagged the 6.5 Creedy for the kids for a screaming great deal back when they were around. Great little rifle that shoots excellent.

USMC-40

WKR
I sold a .270 that I shouldnt have. Shot like a laser. For the guy that said you could buy a Tikka 'and throw 500 out the window and be just as happy' - I like Tikkas, but I havent seen one under 6 pounds yet without putting about 2 grand into...

I’ve had 4. Down to a 270 and a 6 Creedmoor that both drive tacks. If Barrett would follow through with the micro action I’d buy a bushel.

Just buy one of the new tikkas and then throw $500 out the car window in the way home and you will be just as happy. :)

I don’t know about that. I have a couple Tikka’s and a FC, and I much prefer the FC. Although, come to think about it, I didn’t throw $500 out the window when I was on my way home from buying the Tikka’s, so maybe that’s why I don’t like them as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sevens

WKR
Rep I talked to at the DSC Convention said they halted production because of some military contracts (same as their website now says). Rifle seemed very popular and they kept getting rated "rifle of the year." Would think if sales were bad, gunbroker would be flooded with inventory, which they're not.

Hoping they come back with a magnum offering.