No more Fieldcrafts

Sled

WKR
I'd buy used one from a trusted source. The field craft is a rifle that I chose not to pick up in favor of a Kimber. Turns out that was a bad decision as well. For the weight and the price the field craft is a good deal. I just want one that has all the kinks worked out of it before I get it. For anything that doesn't require extremely light weight the Tikka is a great option.

rickco

FNG
My understanding was the military contract needed an all-hands-on deck, corporate push to make their contract commitment . The fieldcraft production needed to be temporary halted in order to make the contract commitment. I have no idea if the production vs costs BS are true. I highly doubt that conjecture by a gun counter person on the merits of the rifle vs costs is accurate. Makes for a good novel but the corporate folks are the ones who know.
Sometimes gun counter personnel relay a rumor and it becomes gospel. Contact Barrett to get the truth.

You can get a 6.5x55 Fieldcraft Monday if you want

Do the email me a price thing and I bet it's $1550. I kick myself for not buying the last 30-06 Fieldcraft on Hinterland. It was there a month a go. I saw it, had a work conference call and was hemming and hawing and it was gone the next day.

There are a bunch of 308s at Whittaker guns and 270s elsewhere.

Here is a demo 6.5 at $1450

lokifox

FNG
I keep waffling on keeping mine. It's an outstanding rifle.

If they would have made the 22" "special edition" green/Cerakote rifles in 280 Ack or 30-06 I might have been able to settle on a single hunting rifle for the rest of my life.

I have a 7mm-08 and like that chambering. The short action cartridges work really well with the long magazine- 3" coal with the high twist barrels and longer throat lets you shoot the high BC bullets. I would really like one in 260 rem. but they will never make it due to the 6.5CM popularity.

When I last spoke to a Rep they said it would be a couple years before they consider production again, and if so, it would only be in a couple popular chamberings- 308, 6.5, 270.

Last edited:
I have a 24” 6.5 man bun. Got it for the wife as it’s a light gun. Pretty neat gun. Too bad they stopped making them

tonechaser88

Lil-Rokslider
Just saw a FC 6.5x55 for sale in the classifieds. Not sure if he still has it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Pretty much oddballs is all I’ve seen....6.5x55, 243...stuff I have no use for unfortunatly. I should have snagged one up awhile back. Oh well, I’m happy with my kimbers and tikkas.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the 6.5 CM SE threaded. Wish I had bought the 18”

Easy to make it shorter, chop 3.5 inches off with a hacksaw, square it up with a file, and hand crown using a large drill bit. Lap the crown in with a 1 inch steel ball bearing and JB Bore Bright, the bearing will self center on the bore and give an angle close to an 11 degree target crown. Then using a 1/2 inch brass bearing lap it again. Don't like how it shoots, take it to a gun smith for a professional re-crown (the reason for leaving an extra half inch).

If you want threads, just take it to a smith and have them cut and thread.

zorkieo

FNG
The price point they sat in is a tricky one. Its not very crowded up there because for another 500-1000 you can get into custom guns.

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
I sold a .270 that I shouldnt have. Shot like a laser. For the guy that said you could buy a Tikka 'and throw 500 out the window and be just as happy' - I like Tikkas, but I havent seen one under 6 pounds yet without putting about 2 grand into...
And I've yet to see any current production 270win in a 1:9 barrel like a Fieldcraft.

The price point they sat in is a tricky one. Its not very crowded up there because for another 500-1000 you can get into custom guns.
No it isn't. I gladly paid $1800 for mine. If they do come back, they will be hundreds of dollars more and people will still buy them. Almost everyone I've heard from say it is a .5-1 MOA gun. It is a very feature rich rifle made in the USA. I don't know what there is not to like?

And I've yet to see any current production 270win in a 1:9 barrel like a Fieldcraft.
The .270 is 1:10

RvW9oWt.jpg

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I don't know what there is not to like?

I don't like the fact that I wish I had one, even though they are not CRF. 🤨 I also don't like the fact that I cannot justify buying one right now and probably will not have the option in the future.