No more large Kifaru tipis?

skierhs

WKR
Lets start off by saying that I am a big Kifaru fan boy, I have multiple packs and shelters from them. This spring I was hoping to get a tipi for bear season in Idaho and Montana. I don’t have the space to store or transport a wall tent. I was hoping for a 12-man or maybe even a 16-man tipi to fill this role and have as a basecamp for our group of 6 guys.

Well, I just called Kifaru asking if they would be getting their 18-man tipis back in stock before spring bear season comes around and I was told not to plan on it. It sounded like they don’t have someone that is able to sew them along with the fact that Kifaru is so busy that I shouldn’t hold my breath. I was told that I should go to another company if i am looking for any shelter above an 8-man tipi. I really appreciate the honesty but am very disappointed that they won’t have any larger tipis to offer.

So who has suggestions on a different brand? I only know of Seek Outside other than Kifaru, but I have no personal experience with their products. I need a tipi around the 12-man range but am thinking of going with a 16-man tipi for the extra space. Any suggestions regarding the size as well?

reaper

WKR
Lets start off by saying that I am a big Kifaru fan boy, I have multiple packs and shelters from them. This spring I was hoping to get a tipi for bear season in Idaho and Montana. I don’t have the space to store or transport a wall tent. I was hoping for a 12-man or maybe even a 16-man tipi to fill this role and have as a basecamp for our group of 6 guys.

Well, I just called Kifaru asking if they would be getting their 18-man tipis back in stock before spring bear season comes around and I was told not to plan on it. It sounded like they don’t have someone that is able to sew them along with the fact that Kifaru is so busy that I shouldn’t hold my breath. I was told that I should go to another company if i am looking for any shelter above an 8-man tipi. I really appreciate the honesty but am very disappointed that they won’t have any larger tipis to offer.

So who has suggestions on a different brand? I only know of Seek Outside other than Kifaru, but I have no personal experience with their products. I need a tipi around the 12-man range but am thinking of going with a 16-man tipi for the extra space. Any suggestions regarding the size as well?
No more 8 man+ tipis,no more annex for tarps
Still a fan of kifaru.

For this size i think your best choices will be seekoutside for sure or look at the classifieds.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
My buddy and I run a 8 man Seek tipi. I also have their Colorado and DST tarps. I've been happy with all their products, good quality. I have a Kifaru Megatarp, Paratarp, and Sheep tarp also and I'd call the quality equal. Great stuff.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
The SO 12-man tipi is hard to beat. Has a 20 ft diameter at the base and 9.5 ft height at the center pole. Will very comfortably sleep 4-5 with lots of gear and stove and we have put as many as 7 with gear during the summer months. It packs up fairly small and is probably about 12-14 lbs total with full liner. Have been very comfortable in it during storms. I use llamas so don't worry too much about the weight. Switched to this from a 12 x 30 canvas wall tent (3 sections) a few years back and haven't looked back. Can set this up in about 30 minutes as compared to about a day for the canvas and it packs a lot smaller and is a lot tighter. You can also set it up as an 8-man tipi by using the guy-outs if you don't have the space to set it up as a 12-man.

OP
S

skierhs

WKR
The SO 12-man tipi is hard to beat. Has a 20 ft diameter at the base and 9.5 ft height at the center pole. Will very comfortably sleep 4-5 with lots of gear and stove and we have put as many as 7 with gear during the summer months. It packs up fairly small and is probably about 12-14 lbs total with full liner. Have been very comfortable in it during storms. I use llamas so don't worry too much about the weight. Switched to this from a 12 x 30 canvas wall tent (3 sections) a few years back and haven't looked back. Can set this up in about 30 minutes as compared to about a day for the canvas and it packs a lot smaller and is a lot tighter. You can also set it up as an 8-man tipi by using the guy-outs if you don't have the space to set it up as a 12-man.
Thanks, we were originally looking at a 14x17 wall tent but the space it takes to store and transport had me looking at other option. Do you have any issues with wind or such with using the 12 man as a 8-man?

OP
S

skierhs

WKR
I currently only own one SO shelter, a 12 person tipi, and as far as I'm concerned, it's the best tipi made that I've seen. I only have Kifaru and Ti Goat to compare it to, but IMO it's better built than both of those.
Thanks for the info, I’m glad to hear that.

reaper

WKR
I currently only own one SO shelter, a 12 person tipi, and as far as I'm concerned, it's the best tipi made that I've seen. I only have Kifaru and Ti Goat to compare it to, but IMO it's better built than both of those.
Both are awesome but i really like the rhino touch like the removable screen door(Seekoutside are sewed and they are a pain in winter/snow conditions)the inside pouches like the one in the Sawtooth,the stove jack location in the kifaru tipis.Seekoutside have better guy-out and stake point made from cordura.On my Sawtooth there are only milspec grosgrain.This is why i use both brands, kifaru Sawtooth for hunting/fishing and silvertip for parckrafting trips.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 2 en utilisant Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve had a few Kifaru and Seek Outside shelters, you’ll not be disappointed with SO.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
No problems with wind as a 12-man-haven't run it as an 8-man yet. These tipis have been known to hold up to very severe winds in Alaska. Can probably find some instances in reviews. Mine has weathered some incredible hail and rainstorms at higher elevations and held up very well. You do need to seam seal them and I found that stretching it out horizontally a few feet off of the ground or floor and using a gloved finger to draw the silicone along each seam works very well. We added a Luxe bat-wing tarp over the door and around the sides last year and created a very nice shade canopy that also keeps rain from entering if you have the door open. I just love how easy it is to set up and take down, and it dries very quickly if wet.

OP
S

skierhs

WKR
No problems with wind as a 12-man-haven't run it as an 8-man yet. These tipis have been known to hold up to very severe winds in Alaska. Can probably find some instances in reviews. Mine has weathered some incredible hail and rainstorms at higher elevations and held up very well. You do need to seam seal them and I found that stretching it out horizontally a few feet off of the ground or floor and using a gloved finger to draw the silicone along each seam works very well. We added a Luxe bat-wing tarp over the door and around the sides last year and created a very nice shade canopy that also keeps rain from entering if you have the door open. I just love how easy it is to set up and take down, and it dries very quickly if wet.
Awesome, I’ve been running a sheep tarp over my hiliberg entrance but will definitely do it with the tipi.

OP
S

skierhs

WKR
Check out the Seek outside Courthouse if you want something portable but badass for basecamp
I’ll definitely take a look at that as well. I’m rethinking the size I need and may take a look at the 8-man size from both SO and Kifaru. I doubt I’ll go that small though.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
All I ever hear from Aron these days is “we are too busy to even take a piss.” You cannot deny the product and the quality, but I’m wondering what their plans are for scalability and growth of the company? Jordan Budd has a future podcast with them
coming up. Maybe that should be a question for them.

PNWGATOR

WKR
You’ll be happy with Seek Outside as their shelters are on par or superior to anything on the market that’s in the same vein.

Don’t sweat it.

tdhanses

WKR
All I ever hear from Aron these days is “we are too busy to even take a piss.” You cannot deny the product and the quality, but I’m wondering what their plans are for scalability and growth of the company? Jordan Budd has a future podcast with them
coming up. Maybe that should be a question for them.

interesting, with all the competition that’s popped up they are still growing as is their competitors, must be a good economy or something.

Do you have a picture of your canopy setup? Interested!

My only regret with my 8 man SO is that on about half the trips (ones that involve a horse) I wish it was a 12 man! With hunting gear, stove, and woodpile the 8 man is comfortable for 3 and doable for 4. The nice thing is the 8 with the carbon pole is backpackable for 3 guys imo.