No More SLC

Its now strongly rumored Swaro has discontinued their SLC series with no plans to replace the line. Its a shame as the 8x42 SLC was one of My favorites.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Its now strongly rumored Swaro has discontinued their SLC series with no plans to replace the line. Its a shame as the 8x42 SLC was one of My favorites.
You know what the best thing about rumors is? It gives people something to talk about. IF this is a reality, which only the rumors say it is, I'd think it's not something that would happen before SHOT Show.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
It would seem Swaro would miss out on a ton of customers looking in that $1,500 range. Doesn't seem like the best business decision to not have a 10x42 that's sub $2,000, but what do I know.

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
A large Dutch dealer, House of Outdoor, has confirmed Swaro telling him this on birdforum. Many there have posted pages from Swarovski (maybe Europe version) showing SLC as being out of stock, limited to stock on hand. Supposedly applies only to the x42. The larger ones, which use the AK prism will remain.

Maybe Doug could make a couple of calls. The Swaro website lists the x42 as being unavailable in the online store in your country.

Last edited:

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have asked and the answer I have been given is that it is an inline product for the foreseeable future. I understand that the SLC's are a go to unit and if I thought they were going away I would be bringing them in by the case load so we would still have them to offer :)

Wapiti1

WKR
They have to offer a product in that price point unless the EL is dropping in price to make way for the NL at the top.
Giving up that space would be poor form IMO and detach upgraders from their product lines. Too big a gap between good, better, best for many to stick to a brand.

Jeremy

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
It's been rumoured EL will drop a bit in price just like SLC did a couple years back, and they may offer a 40 or 42mm CL to fit the market that SLC currently is in. Still feel like it's a bad move. SLC 42's are a staple. That being said, they probably know their own numbers better than I.

Broomd

WKR
This thread should be an interesting....Doug's always got his ear to the rail, hard to imagine Swaro keeping him out of the loop on this...

I'll watch this one.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As far as the EL dropping in price to make room for the NL.....Hello???? It was just reduced $500.00 last month lol.

I agree that Swaro would be shooting themselves in the foot by dropping the SLC's and not having something in that price point which is why I do not see the SLC going away so quickly

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
As far as the EL dropping in price to make room for the NL.....Hello???? It was just reduced $500.00 last month lol.

I agree that Swaro would be shooting themselves in the foot by dropping the SLC's and not having something in that price point which is why I do not see the SLC going away so quickly
My bad Doug. I was under the impression that the latest reduction in ELs and SLCs was just a temporary reduction i.e. "sale." Didn't know it was the new long term price.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR

Not only the price point, but if the NL has a flattened field, it would seem silly to not retain the SLC just to have an option for those who dislike a flat view.

Kurts86

WKR
The SLC’s are overdue for a refresh of some sort if nothing else but on the look and ergonomics.

The New CL’s are really great binoculars and are a huge step up from the old CL’s which is my guess is how Swarovski would keep a $1500 10x42 in their line up by scaling up the 10x30’s.

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
It appears that the Swarovski SLC is morphing into the Kahles Helia S. Kahles has been part of Swarovski for years, and this seems a good move. It has been stated that the current Kahles Helia is Japanese. The new one will be the SLC, made in Austria, replete with brown armor. Price is reputed to be in the same $1.5k range as the SLC.

Some further reading here

Tradchef

WKR
The last article i read on the Swaro family and business model, the CEO wants to only go crazy high end and the family wants to stay doing what its always done. it sounds like if the CEO gets his way they will have huge job loss within the company so lots of bad blood going on. Interesting story thats for sure. I had no idea how intense the crystal cutter they developed was. Super cool if you guys havent read about it.

Bkdc

FNG
I thought the family fued has to do only with the path forward jewelry/crystal (as there is intense competition from cheaper competitors) and not with Swarovski Optik which is doing well.

I like the brown, but I care more about performance.

What I found very surprising is that a used EL WB (not Swarovision) sells for more than the post-2011 SLC HD (or SLC WB) which I believe to have superior optics to the EL WB. Maybe people like the appearance and finish of the EL WB. It’s crazy what used old Swaros sell for.

Last edited:

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
I thought the family fueled has to do only with the path forward jewelry/crystal (as there is intense competition from cheaper competitors) and not with Swarovski Optik which is doing well.

I like the brown, but I care more about performance.

What I found very surprising is that a used EL WB (not Swarovision) sells for more than the post-2011 SLC HD (or SLC WB) which I believe to have superior optics to the EL WB. Maybe people like the appearance and finish of the EL WB. It’s crazy what used old Swaros sell for.
Yeah it's odd but the going rate of used bins is likely because the "EL" had a higher original retail than the latest "SLC" which had been recently reduced.
And yes, you are correct, the family squabble is over the crystal end of the business and not the optics. The CEO wants to quit making cheap crystal knick knacks and stones and keep the Swaro name in high regard from that standpoint. Has nothing to do with them dropping the 42mm SLC's.