No more traditional rifles

Stalker69

WKR
Looks as though traditional rifles are becoming( already are) a thing of the past. Been looking at building one, so I figured I would check here and boy I am amazed that every one ( vast majority for sure) are shooting inlines.

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
Well, sometimes folks just don't understand the difference between a Prius and a Ferrari.

The ferrari of muzzleloaders will always go up in value and be cherished by the hands that hold it. Not so much with those everyday lookalike guns.

With all fun aside... Traditional muzzleloading is a sport that some folks will fall in love with and cherish and teach to others. I myself love the traditional guns. I had my fill of stainless steel and plastic. Out of the 40+ inlines I've owned over 20 years, I own one inline due to it having a special meaning to me. Its mostly just for lookin at and remembering.

This is my hunting rig.
123465665_10158102003277875_6056644342244419410_n.jpg

bbell

WKR
Check out the American longrifles forum if you are gonna build. Tons of info about building.

I appreciate your dedication and enthusiasm for traditional.
But for me I hunt to harvest and animal and for the most part will always use the most technology legal.

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
Sooooo , no body asked you any thing about that. You do you bud, this question obviously did not pertain to you in any fashion. The question asked only about traditional, if you have absolutely nothing to say in regards to them, we don’t need to hear about your choices. I don’t care if you hunt with a ray gun, or a missile, that was not the question. I hunt to have a good time and get some meat, I have absolutely no issue doing that with even primitive archery and I along with many others don’t need a bunch of technology to help us over come our weakness’s . Thanks to those guys with helpful info. !

Last edited:
Sooooo , no body asked you any thing about that. You do you bud, this question obviously did not pertain to you in any fashion. The question asked only about traditional, if you have absolutely nothing to say in regards to them, we don’t need to hear about your choices. I don’t care if you hunt with a ray gun, or a missile, that was not the question. I hunt to have a good time and get some meat, I have absolutely no issue doing that with even primitive archery and I along with many others don’t need a bunch of technology to help us over come our weakness’s . Thanks to those guys with helpful info. !
Well you said you were surprised.
But like most elitists you proven yourself a total ass to anyone who disagrees with you.

I never said I need it, I'm just smart enough to use it.

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
Not an elitist either I own and have hunted with a knight inline. I only said I was surprised there were not more traditional posts on here, I figured there would be posts about guys building traditional black powder guns. Never even mentioned hunting with one, the all mighty techno geek read a lot into this that wasn’t there if you ask me. If I am an ass you must be the hole. And again you post useless information to this post. You need it, or you wouldn’t use it. Have a good day.

Last edited:
OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
So back on track, I see some “ kits” at track of the wolf, has any body purchased one from them ? Any other sights that you might recommend. Hawken style would most likely be what I’m interested in. I used to build them from a place called deer creek if I remember correctly but it don’t look like they are still in business.( built a number of them when Thompson center sold them also) If there are guys building custom rifles, I would be interested in that route possibly also.

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
True, but inquired about traditional, I have a couple inlines ( as well as traditional) and am interested in building one ( which I have done in the past) from a kit like track of the wolf or other such place, if there are others to look at. Or buying a custom made one. With the popularity( I see here) of inlines I may look at selling the ones I have.

Ccm11

FNG
I’m not sure of the quality of the kit, but muzzleloaders.com has traditional kits. Might be worth a look.

wseidel

WKR
Great thread for those of us that enjoy traditional muzzleloaders. I built a Thompson Center Hawken 41 years ago and cherish it. I happen to have a brand new T/C Hawken kit for sale in the Classifieds if anyone is interested.

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
This one a gentleman on this sight built, this looks amazing from what I can see. 1606013077518.jpeg

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
muzzleloading forum and american longrifles can give a good idea of the types of kits available. I personally have been considering a kit from kibler's longrifles because they do not require as much assembly, but they do not sell a Hawken style rifle if that is what you are looking for.
I have watched his ( kibler’s) build video, and yes it looks like a lot of the works is done. The CNC machining makes for a very clean look also ( lock area especially ). If they had a hawken I would probably buy one, if they had real fancy wood up grade available. I want one with very very nice wood.

wseidel

WKR
I just spoke with Jim Kibler about the possibility of offering a Hawken rifle kit - as there is so much interest in this rifle in the muzzleloading community. Presently he offers two styles - Colonial Rifle and Southern Mountain Rifle - and is working on a fowler (smoothbore) that may be ready in approximately six months. He hinted that it is extremely likely that a Hawken is next on his kit list. His build quality is excellent both in the stock (CNC machined) as well as the period correct architecture of the lock, sights, trigger, etc. This Hawken kit, if it moves ahead, may be available as soon as a year and a half. Like Stalker69, I would definitely be interested in a Hawken with a beautiful wood stock. I built a Thompson Center Hawken kit in 1979 and I cherish this rifle. If you are interested in a Kibler Hawken kit, let him know via a phone call or email.

TimothyJ

FNG
Interesting that he hinted at making a Hawken kit after the Fowler kit they are working on. I was considering getting one of their Colonial rifle kits.

On another note, I hope to buy or make a swivel breech flintlock similar to what David Price used to sell as kits eventually as I find their design very interesting.

What I see from tow is most kits ,some of parts are backordered which might slow u down depending on the turn around time they have,you are looking for half stock 50?percussion I assume?I have a tc renegade kit that my father in law gave me to built and helped me with which means all the more now that he's past on,but those kits are mostly sand finish and put together, I'm more of a full stock flintlock kind of guy,I'm thinking of just buying a chunk of maple and a 36 cal barrel and building from scratch idk if I can pull it off but if u dont try u dont know,as many of a hawken as their is around u might be able to find one beat up and just rebuild it to your specs also