No more traditional rifles

lonedave

WKR
Yeah, there are those of us that prefer more traditional stuff when it comes to muzzleloaders. Here's a cross section of critters from the last few years here in Washington. These are all T/C percussion guns, .45, .54, .62, & 12 ga, round ball, conicals, and lead shot....not necessarily in that order....
Dave-2002.jpg
Dave-2003.jpg
IMG016.JPG
IMG009.JPG
IMG022.JPGDSCN0444-r1-TW Forum.JPG
2019 Ewe.jpg
Chukar at Ward Gap 1-15-12.jpg968148-R1-17-8.jpg968148-R1-19-6.jpg

WKR
Nice pics Dave. Spot and stalk, still hunting, laying in wait? Good looking critters.

Have spot and stalked a few doe antelope in very open terrain with muzzleloaders. Its quite doable but those typically end up being about 100 yard shots for me.

EastMT

WKR
Man this thread has got me jonesing for a DIY trad rifle build. It’s been on my mind for awhile, I think they are so nice! I may hunt Reg rifle season with one just for fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lonedave

WKR
Nice pics Dave. Spot and stalk, still hunting, laying in wait? Good looking critters.

Have spot and stalked a few doe antelope in very open terrain with muzzleloaders. Its quite doable but those typically end up being about 100 yard shots for me.

A little bit of everything, depending on the hunt....whatever it takes! The longest shot I've had was about 45 - 50 yards and the closest was the little mulie from about 30 feet. Antelope would definitely be tough without much break in terrain or cover and 100 yards is a long way for my old eyes to focus with open sights! I used to hunt with a longbow and I always try to get close, no matter if I'm using a muzzleloader or modern rifle too. Nice antelope and muzzy. I need to go chase them again one of these days.

WKR
I hear you on whatever it takes. I like hunting antelope during the rut, huge advantage as they are distracted. I have learned a lot about them over the years and use that to my advantage when getting into range. Hoping to burn some points and chase a good buck antelope in 2021, see if I get lucky in the draw.

The mulie at 30 feet had to be fun. I thought 22 yards was pretty close lol. Its more relaxing to me to hunt muzzleloader due to such lower pressure usually where I hunt. Anyway, nice critters again and good luck.

Longbow53

FNG
Good "hunting" guys! I wish i had pics to share,my old computer ate them,when downloading to A newer version. This is where the inline/Knight/Shockey dont have a clue of what its about. Here's one if you have the $$$ and dont know how to hunt.

Last edited:

Squincher

WKR
True, but inquired about traditional, I have a couple inlines ( as well as traditional) and am interested in building one ( which I have done in the past) from a kit like track of the wolf or other such place, if there are others to look at. Or buying a custom made one. With the popularity( I see here) of inlines I may look at selling the ones I have.

I built a .58 Virginia Rifle from Jim Chambers several years ago. Very high quality parts and not terribly difficult to complete. I'd also recommend getting a copy of "The Gunsmith of Grenville County" as it is an excellent resource for building a traditional longrifle.

Jim Chambers

OP
S

Stalker69

WKR
I looked at Jim chambers web sight, but I don’t remember him offering a hawken ( 1/2 stock preferably).

Squincher

WKR
No, Chambers doesn't offer a Hawken. If you get the chance to handle a Hawken and some other rifles with swamped barrels, you might change your mind. Hawkens generally have 1" or 1 1/8" straight barrels and are very, very heavy. Most seem to fall in the 10.5 to 12 pound range. An earlier pattern rifle with a swamped barrel will feel like a well balanced wand in comparison.