No nock pinch knots?

So I just noticed something weird about my bow. This is my third set of strings on my bow.

Long story short, I'm attempting to correct a slightly twisted peep by messing with the d loop. From what I remember, the shop added a twist at some point after my peep had been set to correct a slight tear. I guess this is why I now have a very slightly twisted peep. For the record, I can see through it fine, but it does feel smaller than it was previously (the same peep was reused from my older strings).

While I was looking at my d loop and trying to figure out how to hopefully correct the peep, I noticed that there are no "pinch knots" on my center serving. I'm not an expert, but aren't these pretty much mandatory? I'm paranoid if I start playing with my d loop knots I'll end up messing with the nocking point since there's no other reference on the serving.

Not mandatory but they are a good idea. I've always heard them referred to as "nock sets." Tying them is an easy DIY task, you just need some serving material.

Zac

WKR
I really find the overhand knot to look very messy when I'm done with it, so I guess I'll throw my favorite technique in as well.

Don't correct peep rotation with your d-loop. You correct peep rotation by twisting your string. It won't alter the tune when done correctly, twisting the string isn't going to have an effect on the tear, that's cables.

Like said, tied nock points aren't required. The shorter the ATA of the bow the less likely I am to use them.

Zac

WKR
Don't correct peep rotation with your d-loop. You correct peep rotation by twisting your string. It won't alter the tune when done correctly, twisting the string isn't going to have an effect on the tear, that's cables.

Like said, tied nock points aren't required. The shorter the ATA of the bow the less likely I am to use them.
Do you mean the longer the ATA?

Do you mean the longer the ATA?

No, the shorter the ATA. As you increase the loop length it increases the angle at the top of the loop. This is where I have seen strings get damaged under serving, and where serving frequently gets damaged. Less angle, I believe less chance for damage. Tho the difference would be pretty miniscule.

Reactions: Zac
OP
C
Bow is a Helix Ultra (longer ATA), draw length is 30''.

I'm wondering if I'm getting some nock pinch since the nock has no wiggle room up/down against the d loop at rest. Is this something that's worth taking back to the shop and having them tie in nock sets? I totally suck at tying knots and don't want to experiment/learn on my primary hunting set up.

Zac

WKR
Bow is a Helix Ultra (longer ATA), draw length is 30''.

I'm wondering if I'm getting some nock pinch since the nock has no wiggle room up/down against the d loop at rest. Is this something that's worth taking back to the shop and having them tie in nock sets? I totally suck at tying knots and don't want to experiment/learn on my primary hunting set up.
Just tie them yourself. Your gonna have to learn regardless. Your gonna screw it up a few times. No biggy. Just go to your shop buy loop material and some 3D serving. Watch some videos and experiment.

I don't feel like it's a requirement, but you can mark your serving where you currently are nocking your arrow and cut the loop off. I like to have taller serving on the bottom than the top, to load the arrow just a little downward within the d-loop. Kinda helps to ensure a little downward pressure on the rest, maybe.

Again, non of that is a requirement. If you have it shooting good like it is I wouldn't change a thing.

Use a different colored sharpie or if they still make bottles of white-out. That's what I always use to use.

takdrvr

FNG
I would put them in. Cut the top of the d-loop and put a nock on the string and then install the top nock set. Now install the top of the d-loop. Repeat for the bottom. With shorter ata bows the steeper the string angle will be, especially with a 30” draw.

a good way to check that is to put just a nock on the string and draw the bow back. Nock pinch will cause the nock to point off to one side or the other during the draw cycle. If it does, I’d definitely tie them in as it will cause you some issues tuning.

Zac

WKR
I've screwed around with both nock sets, however I've found it hard to find just the right distance for two. I just tie one below. Not sure if this is correct or not, but it is easier for my OCD.