No one is drawing in CA

Justin_Tree

Lil-Rokslider
Point creep is real and the hunting is tough. However, I know 2 people that drew G3 this year, both had max points.

OP
bguitierez
I would think that when go hunt says the odds to draw a hunt are high that that will drastically reduce the odds as more people will gravitate towards that tag. It’s pretty easy to search for tags with good draw odds which will most likely make those odds much worse next year.

do many people from out of state actually come to California to hunt? I guess they might but I figured the hunting was so much better in other states I couldn’t even imagine why someone would bother with a non resident CA tag unless they had already accumulated points before they got smart and moved elsewhere.

all that being said we drew our tags.....

You know I don’t think I’ve ever entertained the possibility that people travel here to hunt. Not because of the States wildlife or public access, but just because of the laws and the people. I was born here and it’s off putting. The only reason I never leave is I’m Indian my Tribes land is here and at least I get to hunt that every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bguitierez
i drew X3B this year, but i will also be hunting my usual D3-5 as well before X3B opens. Good luck this year. Remember, what you put in is what you get out! Hunt hard and be safe brother!

That’s awesome. Okay on the D3-5 how in the heck are you making that work!? Haha. I scouted that zone last year Mostly in Plumas and holy shit that’s some thick country. Lot of anti-hunter/hippie types too. Guess I’m spoiled by the desert and non hippie types where I live and hunt. All that said I really want to figure that zone out, because it just never sat right with me not finding anything promising. That’s way too much land to just not hunt especially when I can hunt it every year.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
That’s awesome. Okay on the D3-5 how in the heck are you making that work!? Haha. I scouted that zone last year Mostly in Plumas and holy shit that’s some thick country. Lot of anti-hunter/hippie types too. Guess I’m spoiled by the desert and non hippie types where I live and hunt. All that said I really want to figure that zone out, because it just never sat right with me not finding anything promising. That’s way too much land to just not hunt especially when I can hunt it every year.

it took a lot of years but i was able to find some really good areas that produce good genetics.
i pack in and stay out for about 5-10 days depending on weather and conditions.
D3-5 is by no means a easy zone but if you put in the work, you can find some real gems.

this year will be my first x zone hunt, hopefully it all comes together.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

D3-5 is fantastic blacktail deer hunting. Scouting is key and getting boots on the ground trying new areas will serve you well. I’ve been backpacking and hunting D3-5 since the mid 90s. Some of my absolute favorite trips and I’ve been all over the country.

OP
bguitierez
it took a lot of years but i was able to find some really good areas that produce good genetics.
i pack in and stay out for about 5-10 days depending on weather and conditions.
D3-5 is by no means a easy zone but if you put in the work, you can find some real gems.

this year will be my first x zone hunt, hopefully it all comes together.

I like your style brother. Time constraints stopped me last year. But it’s been nagging at me. I’ve essentially arrived at the same conclusions. Gotta treat it like an actual backpack hunt to find anything. There were areas that still had snow in June. Required boots and packs. This areas im gonna get into and give it a real go. I agree that the hunt is what you put into it. I like the way you think bud

OP
bguitierez
D3-5 is fantastic blacktail deer hunting. Scouting is key and getting boots on the ground trying new areas will serve you well. I’ve been backpacking and hunting D3-5 since the mid 90s. Some of my absolute favorite trips and I’ve been all over the country.

Thank you for the perspective. In the back of my mind I know that zone is just an hour away and I should be getting after it more in there.

tunafed

FNG
We prob know the same people who didn't draw with at least 6 points. Is the point creep getting that bad in CA? Being a new hunter that started late in life I might need to pick a zone I can draw sooner than X9a
I drew X9A in '18 with 5 points, two people I know didn't draw it with 5 points. Last year one of them drew and the other didn't. This year the last guy drew it with 7. I moved to NV 2 months ago but, I would probably opt for X9B or C instead of waiting 7+ years for A if I was still in CA. I have my doubts they will ever restore the tags back to the pre '16 levels in X9A or X12 again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I drew X9A in '18 with 5 points, two people I know didn't draw it with 5 points. Last year one of them drew and the other didn't. This year the last guy drew it with 7. I moved to NV 2 months ago but, I would probably opt for X9B or C instead of waiting 7+ years for A if I was still in CA. I have my doubts they will ever restore the tags back to the pre '16 levels in X9A or X12 again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Agree with you in not waiting for 7+ years

Years ago I resigned myself to 2 of Ca's worst zones. I invested a lot of time, effort and boot leather to learn a few areas exceptionally well (it's an understatement). Those efforts have paid off well for me, but it's still lots of work.

Years ago I resigned myself to 2 of Ca's worst zones. I invested a lot of time, effort and boot leather to learn a few areas exceptionally well (it's an understatement). Those efforts have paid off well for me, but it's still lots of work.

He's not exaggerating in the least. I've been privileged to join BubbleButtBuster on a few death hikes over the years and he's a critter finding SOB. Took me to one of his honey holes and I passed on a small buck during my exit. As soon as we got up and started moving at a regular speed, the deer went over the hill...a minute later we hear "BOOM." Pushed him right to some hunters going the other direction.

I remember sitting all day and not seeing more than 1 buck and maybe 50-100 does. I wasn't happy about it, as you can see in the pic below. No pad...my butt hasn't been the same since. But Bubble is not a tag eater, even in a crappy unit. He's very methodical as he reasons out where to hunt and burns serious boot leather. I hide steaks, liquor and Espresso shots in his pack.

IMG_1405.JPG

Last edited:
He's no exaggerating in the least. I've been privileged to join BubbleButtBuster on a few death hikes over the years and he's a critter finding SOB. Took me to one of his honey holes and I passed on a small buck during my exit. As soon as we got up and started moving at a regular speed, the deer went over the hill...a minute later we hear "BOOM." Pushed him right to some hunters going the other direction.

I remember sitting all day and not seeing more than 1 buck and maybe 50-100 does. I wasn't happy about it, as you can see in the pic below. No pad...my butt hasn't been the same since. But Bubble is not a tag eater, even is a crappy unit. He's very methodical as he reasons out where to hunt and burns serious boot leather. I hide steaks, liquor and Espresso shots in his pack.

View attachment 191280

When the He!! was this picture taken Bruce. Geez, you need to spend more time in the glass instead of the camera (maybe that is why I never have any pictures after a hunt). "I hide steaks, liquor and Espresso shots in his pack" That there is no bull. I have no idea how you sneak them in my pack, but I'm willing to pack um.

By the way Bruce, I have a bottle of El Compadre that you really should try. But the level is slowly going down.

DavePwns

WKR
I drew a bear tag! I'll draw x12 one of these days! 😂 Joking aside D6 has been a tough cookie to figure out these past few years but I have a lot of confidence this year considering the amount of time I have to scout

mtn

FNG
The state may mismanage the herds and probably allocate too many tags based on inaccurate population estimates, but I doubt they are rigging the system against individuals. If they don't want you to hunt, it's a warden's job to get your privileges revoked by catching you in the act a few times.

The theory about anti-hunters buying tags to throw away, that's one I believe. At the same time, that means one less pair of boots on the ground and just a little less pressure. All good with me (if/when I draw).

Swayze

FNG
At the same time, that means one less pair of boots on the ground and just a little less pressure. All good with me (if/when I draw).

This is crazy, I'm new to CA but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

mtn

FNG
This is crazy, I'm new to CA but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
State still makes their money for wildlife mismanagement if someone can't/doesn't hunt. Many hunters in the southern half of the state are in agreement that there are far fewer deer in most places but tag numbers do not reflect that. They are still handing out tags like candy in many of my local zones.

In an ideal world, the state would be able to manage proactively and we'd have enough game for everyone to where there'd be no concerns about overhunting an area. Since that's not the case, if someone, including you or I, can't make a hunt, the game population and your fellow hunters are the ones to benefit.

I don't seriously believe that the anti-hunting population are intentionally purchasing a large enough majority of the tags available that it is substantially decreasing your odds. The purpose of the R3 programs that most states have these days is not "let's try to get tags out of anti-hunters' hands because that's the reason we don't draw." Don't take this too seriously