No peep

Deadfall

WKR
I came up shooting recurve. Have been using compound for years now. However I dont use a peep or stabilizer. Everyone looks at me funny and always tries to convince me to go peep.

I see alot of folks have issues with their peeps.
Personally not had issues with accuracy. Its more comfortable to me.

My son is just getting going with bow. I took his peep out today and after redialing and setting his anchors, his groups improved.

Does anyone else shoot without a peep?

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
Gearhead B20 no peep and no stabilizer! I use a bowmar nose button as another anchor point.

I don't shoot peepless with a compound. Nothing wrong with doing it, just takes more practice.

I don't see how you can shoot better without a peep, it's just another way of verifying an anchor.

Reactions: Zac

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've robin-hooded arrows at 20 yards shooting my strings in without a peep, but I wouldn't trust shooting past 30 or 40 yards without my peep. Also, having the string run right through my vision even just shooting in my strings drives me absolutely crazy. I hate having to "look around" the string to see my target.

Jbehredt

WKR
I don't shoot peepless with a compound. Nothing wrong with doing it, just takes more practice.

I don't see how you can shoot better without a peep, it's just another way of verifying an anchor.

Peep set too high or low adversely affecting his anchor consistency. I’d bet dollars to donuts that the poi of those tighter groups shifted when the peep was removed.

Peep set too high or low adversely affecting his anchor consistency. I’d bet dollars to donuts that the poi of those tighter groups shifted when the peep was removed.

Probably right, I guess I assumed a correctly installed peep, and a peep the correct size. Lots of variables.

Beendare

WKR
How pinpoint accurate do you want to be?

A peep is THE most accurate....then there are other systems. I shot just a kisser for many years...its fast to get on target and bowhunting shot accurate.....but it's about 2 MOA vs the 1 MOA or better of a peep.

_____

I never used a peep, life happened and I was kind of forced to quit hunting for a number of years. I bought a new bow a few months ago, set it up without a peep and my older eyes didn't adjust to well. I used to be able to line up perfectly with the left side of the string and could shoot really good. This time round I couldn't tell the left from the right everything is just too blurry up close. My vision from a couple feet in has changed since the last time I had bow hunted. I ended up putting a peep on this bow a month or so after I got it.

A friend of mine about my age had to switch from a recurve to a compound last year because of a wrist/hand/health issue. He went without a peep on his new bow and said he got real comfortable shooting after a slight adjustment period, he was money at the range.

He called a couple weeks ago, he had a big 150+, 8 point whitetail come out at his stand, drilled it broadside at 15 yards and when he went to retrieve it, he found guts on the arrow. (he thought he made a good shot) He evidently ended shooting 6 inches (left or right, I don't remember that part of the story) from where he had aimed. Fast forward a few weeks, he had what was the biggest deer he had ever seen come out at his stand, he said well over a 180 inches. The deer was quartered away, close shot and he shot it in the hind leg, missing about 6 inches to the same side as before. Lost both deer, the big 8 point showed up on a trail camera a couple weeks later, but he said it was sickly looking.

He called me feeling like crap, I told him my new issues with peep sights after he mentioned not using a peep, he actually consulting me and another friend of his that doesn't use a peep prior to setting up that bow. Anyway, he seems to think he looked on the wrong side of the string. Once you get over 50 your eyes aren't what they use to be.

Without hijacking the thread, there is a whole ethical discussion mixed in here as well.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
I dont use string, nose, or kisser buttons. Completely rely on anchor points. Also don't use the old no peep system.

Sounds weird but feel more connected to the process. I've always shot with both eyes open.

Do use a sight. Shooting different leagues over the years I've been right in there with others.

Try to keep my system as light and simple as possible. Guiding for so long I've seen peeps move, twist in field leading to disappointment and frustration.

peterk123

WKR
I used a no peep for about fifteen years. They work well. I hated the peep sights due to issues with them during low light. Last year I tried a 5/16 peep during the off season. My accuracy improved significantly once I got out past 30 yards. It makes sense if you think about it. Your no-peep alignment is not in line with your string. No peeps work, but I hate to admit it..... peeps are more accurate.