No Service? No Problem! Article by Chas Carmichael

RILEY L

FNG
Great Article Chas. Im interested in getting my HAM license and have questions about realistic capabilities. I live in San Diego but don't typically hunt nearby. I usually hunt 200-500 miles away. Cell service is usually very limited. I have noticed that some high peaks in my hunt areas have many antennas on top. I'm not sure if any of them are repeaters at this point and I realize there are variables that could effect long distance communication.
1. Is communication realistic at those distances with my family at home from a vehicle mounted setup or handheld if I'm in range of a repeater?
2. Could family track my location with DMR?

I do have a Garmin Inreach but I see the value in HAM as well. I'm going to educated and ready for the test while I'm quarantined and home.

Great Article Chas. Im interested in getting my HAM license and have questions about realistic capabilities. I live in San Diego but don't typically hunt nearby. I usually hunt 200-500 miles away. Cell service is usually very limited. I have noticed that some high peaks in my hunt areas have many antennas on top. I'm not sure if any of them are repeaters at this point and I realize there are variables that could effect long distance communication.
1. Is communication realistic at those distances with my family at home from a vehicle mounted setup or handheld if I'm in range of a repeater?
2. Could family track my location with DMR?

I do have a Garmin Inreach but I see the value in HAM as well. I'm going to educated and ready for the test while I'm quarantined and home.

Tracking with GMR is not easily done.

Communicating long distances with HAM is certainly doable - it all depends on the linkage the clubs there have on their systems. I know here in CO there are systems that link from Cheyenne all the way to Albuquerque.

Find your local amateur club. http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club is a good start. With linked systems talking long distances is easy. APRS is usually done via analog systems and separate digipeaters, the clubs can help you there also. Remember any beaconing requires batteries and power so plan use accordingly. Holler with any more questions - Blessings, Chas.

RILEY L

FNG
Thanks for the quick response Chas. I found a local club and will pursue my license and membership through them. I also found out that my uncle in Lake Havasu has his HAM license so I can glean off of his knowledge. HAM really seems like an unappreciated tool for hunters.

Thanks, Riley

Cstrker

FNG
I usually go hunting with my Brother, and this will definitely help us not be those two comical hunters looking like mimes in an argument!

great read!

Thanks boss! I think we are actually looking at getting HAM for all the reasons you mentioned. We used our InReach in 2 states last year and the quickest a text came through was 2 hours. Other than forking the money out for a Sat phone, HAM seems to be the best bang for sure!! This may be a dumb question, but, it is feasible for me to think I could talk with my hunting buddies over HAM while thay are out West this September and I am at home?

but, it is feasible for me to think I could talk with my hunting buddies over HAM while thay are out West this September and I am at home?

Possible - some areas have linked repeater systems that may link to an internet connection somewhere to transport a conversation long distance to another repeater somewhere else. Typically these systems are closer to populated areas but you never know. if you'd like to PM me some general details of locations I can help identify resources for you in the general area you are looking at.

DigDug

FNG
There's some good IGATE's around where I hunt sometimes, that allow for some nice APRS use. That's another thing to look into. While I don't have an InReach, it allows me to send text messages and emails to my wife back home who has no interest in ham radio. She can also track me if I send any position reports. I have a Kenwood radio with packet built in, plus an external TNC (Mobilinkd) for another handheld I can leave in the car. You are limited on the amount of text you can send each message, but as long as I can reach the particular repeaters on the mountain tops, I'm good. Just search on "SMSGTE" and "EMAIL-2" if you want to read up on this. I know of 4x4 guys who even send APRS messages when the ISS flies overhead when they're out in the boonies. But, APRS is another added expense on top of the radios. I just happened to have all the equipment before I ever thought about hunting.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Great article - thanks Chas! Like @RILEY L I have similar questions. I'm sitting for my Technician exam on 7/28 (fingers crossed), but I've been thinking a good bit about the limitations of being "the only one" with a license. My wife has ZERO interest in sitting for the exam. My buddies are former military and I imagine they might do take the exam, or "roll the dice", but it can't hurt to have at least one of us out there with the capabilities. I have the inReach Mini (and a Spot), but two is one, and one is none.

Which license do you have, and do you think it makes sense or is helpful to sit for a higher class when my primary use (at least for the foreseeable future) is backcountry emergencies and perhaps (if doable) speaking to my wife and kids while away?

Thanks again for the work!

@fwafwow : For backcountry the reasonable license is the Technician. Any HF equipment for longer range contacting is generally weight prohibitive. Make sure to check local linked systems and I can give a hand with that if you PM me a general unit area.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
@fwafwow : For backcountry the reasonable license is the Technician. Any HF equipment for longer range contacting is generally weight prohibitive. Make sure to check local linked systems and I can give a hand with that if you PM me a general unit area.
Thanks! PM on the way