No Tag soup, Elk

GSPHUNTER

WKR
It took me until the last day of a four day hunt to tag out, thank god. I hate tag soup. My friend greg tagged out on the second day and got a Hugh cow, when we had it skinned in the shed some guys were thinking it was a bull it was so big. Mine came about seven AM on Monday. We first saw the small heard at about three hundred yards and they were on the move uphill into the brush and trees, when they reappeared they had made it further up the hill but made the mistake of stopping in between junipers. they were looking right at us but one made the mistake of giving me a broadside. We range it at 460 yards and I let fly 180 gn. of Barnes TXS BT out of my Wing, lights out. She never took one step or, I suspect one breath. When we got her field dress, her lung were pulverized. Nice human shot. A real adrenaline rush after seeing a good number of Elk without be able to get a shot and damn near out of time. My only regret is my 14 year old grandson was not able to join me. My daughter did not want him to miss a week of school. Next year I'll plan it a little better to see if she will let him go, he would have loved being there.Resized_20211108_071345.jpeg

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
GPSHunter,
That is one NICE cow! Super meaty. As a school teacher, I can tell you that your grandson would have benefitted from a week hunting with his grand dad more than being in a classroom. As long as a kiddo is holding their own with grades, reads well, and has a decent I.Q., getting out in the mountains is the best thing for them! Enjoy and hopefully grandson goes next time on a two week mountain survival, hunting, bonding-with gramps adventure. Congratulations on that cows - it’s a beauty.

Congrats!

How’d ya kill an elk and not succumb to the elements in nothin but a distressed pattern Martha’s Vinyard technical fleece?

OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Congrats!

How’d ya kill an elk and not succumb to the elements in nothin but a distressed pattern Martha’s Vinyard technical fleece?
Once I realized there were Elk in the area, I could smell them, kind of smell like a horse, I activated my cloaking device. that and the guide had told us, I don't guide hunters who dress like they just came from a commercial photo shoot for Bass Pro holiday catalog.

Last edited: