Nock high tear

RCress

FNG
Hello, I recently started experimenting with different arrow builds using the valkyrie system. I shoot a 70lb hoyt defiant with a 28.5" draw. It seems that any combination of 250-350 spine shaft and a 180-230 grain tip is shooting nock high. The only thing that seems to correct this is bumping up to a 200 spine shaft... that shoots perfect bullet hole at 8ft. The issue is that the 200 spine shaft is obviously considerably heavier and thus slows my fps more than I was hoping for. I have done a lot of reading on this system and it seems that most people with 28" and 70lb draw are able to shoot a 300 or 250 spine shaft and 200 grain head without an issue. Has anyone had a similar issue? Should I be shooting through the paper at a further distance?
Thank you, I appreciate any advice.

Zac

WKR
I had the exact same issue shooting the same bow you have. It's the Defiant cam IMO. I fixed the issue with a Mathews VXR. Brent has said before that Mathews handles his system better due to such minimal nock travel.

Marble

WKR
I had the exact same issue shooting the same bow you have. It's the Defiant cam IMO. I fixed the issue with a Mathews VXR. Brent has said before that Mathews handles his system better due to such minimal nock travel.
I disagree. There was an early version of the cam that had occasional issues but it was sorted out. Sounds like a combination of possible issues.

I would start from zero and make sure the rest is set as factory specs. Insure timing is correct and that both limbs are maxed out. Some Hoyts like to have the arrow started out nock high. Start level, good timing, as in even, then tune that setup without a heavy weighted arrow. Probably be a 300 spine with a 125 tip and possibly, but not likely, a 340 with a 100 trainer.

Verify a good tune, then start messing with added weight.

Having someone else shoot it through paper can also reveal an issue in form.

I had a carbon turbo defiant. I had to run either the top or bottom cam advanced. Can't remember which now. I had the revised cams on it also. Took some tinkering but I got it worked out.

Zac

WKR
I'm assuming you have the number two cam. That is the one that Hoyt modified. I guess if you wan't to go through the trouble you can try to find a 2.1 cam on Ebay or something.

Beendare

WKR
I'm shooting a 28 1/4" axis 300, 50 or 75 gr insert [I can't remember, I mostly shoot my recurve] and a 150 gr BH- so either 200gr or 225 up front. I shoot that 29" module in my compound a Hoyt Spyder Turbo at about 68#.

The bow shoots BH's better than I can shoot them when tuned. I took it to Arizona late deer and shot it with a buddy [witness] putting the first 2 BH arrows 1 1/2" apart at 50 yds....much better than I normally shoot...point is the arrow is a good match to that bow.

______

OP
RCress

RCress

FNG
Thanks for the input everyone. The bow was just tuned from the pro shop and is shooting bullet holes with standard arrow set up (300 spine and 125 up front). The issue only begins when I attempt to add weight. Is it worth attempting to make adjustments to the cams? If so, which adjustments do I start with?
Thanks

Is there a difference in diameter in any of these shafts? If I'm reading correctly your getting a 300 spine with 125 to shoot, and a 200 spine with 200ish to bullet hole. However it seems to be a nocking point or cam timing issue, not a spine issue.

How far do these arrows extend past the end of your rest?

OP
RCress

RCress

FNG
Is there a difference in diameter in any of these shafts? If I'm reading correctly your getting a 300 spine with 125 to shoot, and a 200 spine with 200ish to bullet hole. However it seems to be a nocking point or cam timing issue, not a spine issue.

How far do these arrows extend past the end of your rest?
Yes. The 300 shaft is an fmj 5mm. The 250-350 are victory VAPe that came in my test kit from valkyrie. The 200 spine shaft is a x impact I got from my pro shop. All shafts are the same length with about 1.5" beyond the rest

Marble

WKR
I was told by a long time pro archer, after screwing around with something on my bow and being baffled at what the hell was going on, "changing one thing, changes everything."

Changing around to different arrows and such can cause drastic differences.

When we are looking for the most out of a bow, it's the very small details that screws us up.

^^^ As above, you are needing to adjust your rest more than likely with the smaller shafts. The outside diameter is larger on that .200 spine I'll bet. If the shop tuned with standard shafts and now your trying micro's that wont work.The Defiants were notoriously tough to tune and liked nock low situations. I would raise the rest very slightly (1/16-1/32" talking micro) or lower nocking point and see. These can also have issues with TT Smackdowns and spring tension on the blade if that's what your running.

X-impact 200 is a .256 o.d.
Fmj 5mm 300 spine is .273

The victory vap range from .232-.237.

So by shooting the vap arrows you are essentially raising your nocking point slightly. By .018" I believe to be exact.

Yes. The 300 shaft is an fmj 5mm. The 250-350 are victory VAPe that came in my test kit from valkyrie. The 200 spine shaft is a x impact I got from my pro shop. All shafts are the same length with about 1.5" beyond the rest

Distance off the rest is good, a really long shaft past your rest can sometimes give a nock high.

Zac

WKR
You could save yourself a lot of trouble by simply investing in a string and arrow level. Once your bow is level you can move your rest until the arrow is dead level with the string. That is a good starting point.

OP
RCress

RCress

FNG
Thank you for all the tips. The slight adjustment to my rest did the trick. I appreciate all of your help. 20200406_100523.jpg

Attachments

• 20200406_100523.jpg
    20200406_100523.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 8