Nock issue....HELP!

Ok...I feel like I am pretty good with tuning/arrow work and am completely stumped. Probably a question for Archery Talk but I hate that site. Anyway...I shoot a RX 3 at 70lbs +/-. I have a 29" draw and shoot an axis 300 w/ 50gr of brass up front and Beiter Hunter nocks on the back. These nocks are super expensive but I have always loved how well they fly compared to other nocks that I've used (X, G etc.) The setup is dialed, shoots bare shafts perfectly and kudu 100gr heads fly/hit perfect out of it. Its a money setup.

I had been using First String strings this past year and I shoot a lot. After elk season this September I ordered some Gas Strings through my local shop as my First Strings were pretty toast. My shop, which is outstanding (Ive never had an issue tuning wise that they could not fix), put the strings on, and with them I got the bow dialed again and shooting bullet holes through paper (both bareshaft and fletched). I also ordered 2 doz new Beiter Hunter nocks as my I had a bunch of Axis' that had been cracked from smashing carbon. I have never had any issues with the Beiters.

So here's the problem. In shooting at the shop, the bow tuned pretty quick (only needed a few shots to get it close and know that there will be some break in time understandably with the new strings). After a few shots of only shooting one arrow at a time, I noticed that my nock was barely clicking on the string. Chalking it up to being old/used, I grabbed a different arrow and had the same issue...4-5 shots and all the sudden the nock was barely clicking on the string. I inspected both nocks, there were zero cracks, the arrows hadnt hit anything, and all the sudden the nock tips were "flaring." It was not really noticeable to the eye but the arrow would fall off the string the second you tried to pull it back and would not click on. Ive always been very particular about nock fit and again, have never had any issues with these nocks. I figured they were both old, had a dialed bow, then went home and put a dozen of the new nocks on my arrows and went to shoot for the morning. When I nocked an arrow with the new nocks, they would fit perfectly on the string, have just the right amount of space so that there was no pinch at full draw etc. However the results were even worse with the new nocks! One shot, the arrow would fly perfect, and then when I retrieved the arrow, the nock would look fine but upon going to nock the same arrow, the nock would not even click or have any hold on the string at all. I did it with 8 nocks, all were shot individually and all had the same result. After one shot the nock was toast and the tips were flared out so far that they wouldnt even touch the string.

I have no idea at all what would cause this and am stumped. I threw some x nocks on my arrows and they are on suuuuper tight but can be shot (obviously some accuracy issues) but just wanted to see if any sort of issues came up. The x nocks were fine. Any thoughts here on what would be causing this? The only thing I could think (being that the poundage is about the same) is that it would need to be served with a smaller diameter serving but like I said, the nock fit on the new strings is spectacular....clicks on easy, doesn't fall off, string can rotate around in the throat/not too tight. When the bow was in the press I hung the arrow off the string vertically and it wouldnt be too tight and again, wouldnt fall off.

I'd really love to keep shooting the Beiters but am at a loss and also dont wanna keep blowing them up with each shot as they are expensive. Just to be clear all were brand new (except my first two older ones which ironically lasted longer than just one shot) and the nocks were all inspected and perfect before shooting.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Zac

WKR
I'd try reserving first before anything else. The Beiters do seem to be fairly fragile. You may want to look at your nock sets. They may be a little too close in proximity, which would flare the ends of the nock out before it settles on the string.you wouldn't necessarily notice this once the nock clears the sets and is resting on the string.

wapitibob

WKR
I'd measure the new serving as well as the old one, sounds too tight to me. A friend shoots beiters and he's at 0.113.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
From my experience, X-nocks fit very tight on every serving I've ever used, and you say they are extremely tight.......which is why the Beiters are flaring after being shot. Go to a smaller serving or try some different nocks. I've never been a fan of the Beiters I've tried, they seem too soft and pliable IMO. But I love the Bohning A-nocks. I use them on all my .204" ID arrows.

OP
Thanks guys...gonna try to re-serve first and see what happens. I've used the beiters for a couple years and would like to stay with them. Always feel like they've given me great/consistent arrow flight. Been thinking for a couple years to also give the luminock scene a go...maybe this is the time...

Zach429

FNG
With a gas string you could center serve with bcy .021 and the x nock should fit perfectly. Why change them out from what comes stock in the Axis, make things easy. Beiters are a pretty soft nock, there's better options.

I had issues with G nocks flaring/stretching and also breaking. Got some deep six nocks, they worked. But when I got a new string recently and the center serving was larger than my last string, the deep six were way too tight and the Gs were only slightly better. Beiter to the rescue and I'm a believer. I hope your re-serving does the trick! I'd be curious to hear after.

wapitibob

WKR
I've shot G nocks for 25 years with zero issues. A large groove G nock will fit almost identical to a Beiter hunter on a .113 dia serving. Small groove G, not so much.

Trial153

WKR
Just re serve with larger diameter serving thread or lay a couple extra stands under and re serve with the same thread

Measure the width of the nock before and after shooting, no other way to tell if its the nock. calipers work well for this. Let us know in thousandths what the measurements are?????