Nock On Backstrap, Inconsistent Tension

Has anyone experienced inconsistent tension in the Nock On Backstrap?

My form being as identical as I can make it between shots, it will release with virtually zero tension (i.e. hair finger trigger) and the next shot it'll make me work for that release, as in I need to pull significantly harder to make it release.

MattB

WKR
My guess is the amount you are pulling into the wall is different each time. When you pull harder, you have already exceeded the release weight so it fires when you depress the trigger. When you pull the right amount it works as expected. It took me a bit of time to get that right.

horniac

FNG
I was just shooting mine the other day trying to work on my target panic. The first couple of shots went off as soon as I depressed the trigger. Wasn’t like that the last time I shot it and had been shooting as it was set from the factory. Blew up two arrows against a concrete block wall trying to get it adjusted. I believe I have it set now per the instructions 4# over holding weight but on my last arrow the release flipped up and hit me in the forehead. I decided to call it a day after that haha!

Horniac

I has a silverback that would release at various pressures. Even on the scale it would vary wildly from just under what it was set for to 20# over, to the point I couldn't make it release a few times.
I sent it back they gave my money back no questions.

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
I have a Sweet Spot Pro. This device measures the exact amount of tension on the wall each and every shot. I can tell you that extremely minute tension changes in your shoulder and scapula will result in a totally different release. You have to be extremely consistent in order to get consistent results from your tension activated release. This is why it is probably the hardest release to master IMO. However if you are able to get it to consistently fire that will translate into awesome groups, and equal control with other releases.

Gorp2007

WKR
Have you tested it with a scale? I was having similar issues with a Silverback, but tested it on the scale and as long as I was slowly building tension it was very consistent. I also very lightly oiled the mechanism at the recommendation of the good folks at Carter. Like others have pointed out, you can make small changes in form and create wildly different results so I’d measure it and confirm.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
Most people don't realize that you start losing tension after about six shots. The entire timing of activation is going to be a curve. Your going to start out overly quick when your musculature is fresh. Then you hit a valley where everything is breaking just about right. This is followed by the long holds and collapses. Everyone goes through this, just no one realizes it because when they are operating a sear system that goes off on command.

Brendan

WKR
Agree with above, you need to test it with a scale. It's possible it's the release, but in all likelihood, it's you.

Very, very easy to have a form breakdown between shots or as you get tired to feel WAY WAY harder to get a tension release to fire when in actuality it's just you.

OP
N
Wow, I really appreciate the replies!
I have a digital scale made by Luoyer, which measuers a different poundage every time I test it (over the past two months). I just tried it twice again, holding the scale in the same exact position, as consistent as I possibly could be, just pulling back on a 6" diameter peice of string with the scale attached at one end and my release at the other. First measure was 13.76 lb, second measure was 11.56 lb. This is below my bow's holding tension because I've just been using it like a hair-pin trigger since the tension issue.

I contacted Nock On in the meantime. They responded and sent me to contact Carter. Carter responded saying that applying a drop of gun oil in the spot just below the jaw where it meets the sear once a month should fix the inconsistencies.

I completley get the comments about subtle differences in form, and that these are difficult to master. I believe that, but can't help to question....is it worth the effort? The comment coming from the manufacturer about needing to lubricate the device to combat inconsistent tensions does not exude a lot of confidence for when I'm in the back country for a few days with the elements (dust, dirty, rain, etc), and I get that rare chance to send an arrow....I can't sayI would be 100% confident that the release will function properly.

A bit of a ramble there. Appreciate you folks!

Gorp2007

WKR
Wow, I really appreciate the replies!
I have a digital scale made by Luoyer, which measuers a different poundage every time I test it (over the past two months). I just tried it twice again, holding the scale in the same exact position, as consistent as I possibly could be, just pulling back on a 6" diameter peice of string with the scale attached at one end and my release at the other. First measure was 13.76 lb, second measure was 11.56 lb. This is below my bow's holding tension because I've just been using it like a hair-pin trigger since the tension issue.

I contacted Nock On in the meantime. They responded and sent me to contact Carter. Carter responded saying that applying a drop of gun oil in the spot just below the jaw where it meets the sear once a month should fix the inconsistencies.

I completley get the comments about subtle differences in form, and that these are difficult to master. I believe that, but can't help to question....is it worth the effort? The comment coming from the manufacturer about needing to lubricate the device to combat inconsistent tensions does not exude a lot of confidence for when I'm in the back country for a few days with the elements (dust, dirty, rain, etc), and I get that rare chance to send an arrow....I can't sayI would be 100% confident that the release will function properly.

A bit of a ramble there. Appreciate you folks!

I’ve got a Silverback and a Nock2It, for me it’s worth it because my performance with my Nock2It has gotten much better and my target panic is slowly getting under control. But I wouldn’t bring the Silverback with me into the back country except as a spare because of issues with first shot/cold shot tension inconsistencies. But as a training tool I wish I’d gotten one sooner.

chasewild

WKR
I shoot the Carter Squeeze Me -- the prelude to your backstrap.

I was having the same issues. Could not figure it out. Ultimately it was mostly my form, but I started deconstructing the springs and cleaning the release once a year and that has helped immensely. I hunt with the release and I bought two -- complete confidence now. I shoot a really heavy breaking weight and limb stops to make sure that even if I'm pulling too hard into the wall, my anchors don't change and the release won't go off.

I was experiencing the same thing. Felt like I was pulling a mac truck without the thing going off. I thought no way is it my form. I took your advice and put a drop of oil under the mouth and amazing! I had to tighten the tension a whole 1.5 turns and now it’s breaking as it should and with consistency. Thanks!