Nock tuning bare shaft arrows

Op I tune all my arrows that way and find it much more reliable than static spine testing and marking. Never had to turn a nock after all bareshafts had a perfect hole through paper.
made a big difference once I started setting up my arrows this way.

Zac

WKR
Has anyone done the trick with the bow press?

Press the arrow and mark the way it deflects?
Dorge says that is a totally useless way of indexing. It was on one of his online seminars. Like alot of Dorge stuff, I don't recall why.

Dorge says that is a totally useless way of indexing. It was on one of his online seminars. Like alot of Dorge stuff, I don't recall why.

I tend to try stuff, then determine if it's useless. I'd be curious. I think it's what Dan Mccarthy does. If the arrow really does flex the same way no matter how it's turned it would seem to me like it might work.

I don't know that it will work very well with my press, but I haven't tried.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I like to shoot, and I like to shoot longer range. So instead of taking time to shoot through paper, or float my arrow shafts, or whatever else is out there........I just shoot them all. They'll eventually tell me everything I need to know about each of them, and they either conform to the group........or they don't. But quite honestly, I've never had many at all that I couldn't bring into the group. Sometimes it's as easy as a 1/4 turn on the shaft, and sometimes it's a few turns......a nock change........a tip change.........and some more turning. But those have been few and far between regardless what arrows I'm using.

cdavison

FNG
I bought some new Axis arrows after season and thought I would knock tune them bare shaft before fletching. Ended up finding my 3 month old Mathews VXR was never tuned at the shop I bought it from. Tears were so far right tail that no amount of moving the rest would correct. Learned all about the Mathews Top Hat system which is really cool, I just wish it could be done without a bow press like the cam mods.

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
I bought some new Axis arrows after season and thought I would knock tune them bare shaft before fletching. Ended up finding my 3 month old Mathews VXR was never tuned at the shop I bought it from. Tears were so far right tail that no amount of moving the rest would correct. Learned all about the Mathews Top Hat system which is really cool, I just wish it could be done without a bow press like the cam mods.
If you want to work on your own bow then a press is a given. It would be nice to tune by just twisting an Allen wrench but that method has its issues as well.

I use to have an old Allen press for older style bows but when I needed to upgrade I just went with the cheap bowmaster portable press. The small press does everything I need it to, well worth the small investment.