Nocturnal Bear, California

Warmsy

WKR
There's a bear that's destroying my buddy's apple trees, and it's coming out of the public land to the north. They see it at about 4am. They're early risers and haven't seen it during shooting light.

I imagine it is in one of the several thick ravines during the day. Most of the "accessible" berries have been stripped clean, so no sense sticking around there. I know a few of its travel paths, but I haven't seen it or fresh scat on those trails the last few days.

I'll be using atrad bow. My questions are:
Will the bear be up and about during the day when the moon gets darker? Is there any way to "coax" it, without baiting, wherever it's holed up during the day? And finally, does a bear sleep all day, or could he be up and about where it's very steep and thick?

Bear are like antelope and kind of do what they want within the constraints of their needs. Is there water nearby you can set a camera on? I usually don't see bears go completely nocturnal. We will get them on camera in early morning and then sometime during the day. The areas I'm hunting are behind on the berry crop. The bears will start eating more and more and forced into feeding areas during the daylight hours.

If it were me I'd be adjacent to the travel paths of the bear during the dark and wait for the sun to come up. Chances are you'll at least hear it. Then follow and ambush as necessary.

OP
Warmsy

Warmsy

WKR
Bear are like antelope and kind of do what they want within the constraints of their needs. Is there water nearby you can set a camera on? I usually don't see bears go completely nocturnal. We will get them on camera in early morning and then sometime during the day. The areas I'm hunting are behind on the berry crop. The bears will start eating more and more and forced into feeding areas during the daylight hours.

If it were me I'd be adjacent to the travel paths of the bear during the dark and wait for the sun to come up. Chances are you'll at least hear it. Then follow and ambush as necessary.

Ok thanks. I'll give that a try Sunday morning, if I don't get him this evening, that is! There's quite a bit of water around this area, nothing to pin down.

JNDEER

WKR
Trail cameras. Use them.

without them- and the data you have I would say he is bedding a good distance from the apple trees- so get closer to his bed if you want a shot. He will be on the move after sunrise and before sunset-just doesn’t make it to the apples before dark.

One of the ranchers I do ADC work for had a fruit tree that would attract all sorts of critters. He built a very comfortable wood blind in it complete with a padded, carpeted floor. Only his head sits high enough when he's sitting in his chair so he sees everything but he's almost invisible. He's shot everything outta that sucker, deer, javelina, coyotes, bear and passed on an elk. When you look at the tree you can barely see the blind. I wish I had a photo of it.

OP
Warmsy

Warmsy

WKR
Trail cameras. Use them.

without them- and the data you have I would say he is bedding a good distance from the apple trees- so get closer to his bed if you want a shot. He will be on the move after sunrise and before sunset-just doesn’t make it to the apples before dark.

I can't afford any right now, but that would definitely help. I'm expanding my search... seems like he's traveling in one square mile based on the neighborhood layout.

OP
Warmsy

Warmsy

WKR
One of the ranchers I do ADC work for had a fruit tree that would attract all sorts of critters. He built a very comfortable wood blind in it complete with a padded, carpeted floor. Only his head sits high enough when he's sitting in his chair so he sees everything but he's almost invisible. He's shot everything outta that sucker, deer, javelina, coyotes, bear and passed on an elk. When you look at the tree you can barely see the blind. I wish I had a photo of it.

That's a great idea! Might do that.

is the idea to get rid of a problem, or are you hunting it, as in wanting to keep and eat the meat?

OP
Warmsy

Warmsy

WKR
is the idea to get rid of a problem, or are you hunting it, as in wanting to keep and eat the meat?
I really want to harvest a bear this year for the meat and the hide. They're giving me a shot at it before some one on the neighborhood calls the trapper to euthanize it.

OP
Warmsy

Warmsy

WKR
I was asking because it sounds like it could be taken under the depredation regs.
I'l look into that. I know they want you try other deterrents before requesting the depredation permit. And I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get to keep the animal.
I'm more interested in the ol' fair chase, anyway. I could absolutely sit on the porch with a dim light and my bow at 4 am, but id really like to ambush/ stalk out during legal shooting hours.

MeatBuck

WKR
There's a bear that's destroying my buddy's apple trees, and it's coming out of the public land to the north. They see it at about 4am. They're early risers and haven't seen it during shooting light.

I imagine it is in one of the several thick ravines during the day. Most of the "accessible" berries have been stripped clean, so no sense sticking around there. I know a few of its travel paths, but I haven't seen it or fresh scat on those trails the last few days.

I'll be using atrad bow. My questions are:
Will the bear be up and about during the day when the moon gets darker? Is there any way to "coax" it, without baiting, wherever it's holed up during the day? And finally, does a bear sleep all day, or could he be up and about where it's very steep and thick?
Think of it this way, how long would you leave a dog inside and expect it not to piss/shit the carpet or get into the trash... He’s gonna get out of his bed for a few minutes at least to take a nasty applesauce dump if nothing else.

If you’re lucky the apples have fermented and he’s a little tipsy on his way back to bed.

I'l look into that. I know they want you try other deterrents before requesting the depredation permit. And I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get to keep the animal.
I'm more interested in the ol' fair chase, anyway. I could absolutely sit on the porch with a dim light and my bow at 4 am, but id really like to ambush/ stalk out during legal shooting hours.

How'd the hunting go?

OP
Warmsy

Warmsy

WKR
How'd the hunting go?

I tried calling fir a couple hours itover a few daysin a few different spots, then my 3 year old was evacuated due to fires so tomorrow will be the first day in over a week I get to go out. No luck so far, but people have been seeing it at dawn, so that's hopeful.