Noisy rain gear

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
I’m all about buy once, cry once. I’m just getting into buying real dedicated hunting clothing and piecing stuff together. I’ve come to the road block that is rain gear/shell. Looking at all the brands between Sitka, First Lite, KUIU..... etc..... some reviews I’ve read say that “X” rain gear is loud and noisy, while others say that being loud does not matter because it’s raining and your not trying to be quiet, because rain isn’t quiet. I want to get rain gear that is versatile enough to hunt in the rain gear and stalk reasonably quiet, going to keep me dry obviously, but also use as a shell on the cold mornings late season when your sitting on the glassing knob looking for a critter to cut the wind and keep heat in. Any personal experiences would be great. I’m willing to spend the money on a set from the top brands but not the most expensive of sets ranging north of $800+.

mlgc20

WKR
My rain jacket is the Kuiu Yukon. I pretty much never take it off when I’m hunting. I just layer appropriately underneath depending on temp. It’s reasonably quiet, breathes extremely well, and is quite durable. I also run the Yukon gaiters. They are fantastic as well. For my rain pants, I use the Sitka Cloudburst. In general I like the Yukon stuff better. But, Sitka pants fit me better than Kuiu. I actually don't use the pants very often though. Between the jacket and gaiters, they cover what I need most of the time.

sneaky

"DADDY"
All rain gear is noisy. The stuff that isn't, doesn't work, and wets out easy and takes forever to dry.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
How much bush whacking you’re going to do couples with how much it actually rains when you’re hunting should make your decision. No rain gear is going to be quiet, but when it’s raining, noise from the garment is a moot point.

I live in the SE and take a trip out to the Rockies to elk hunt every year. For me, Kuiu north ridge is perfect for what I do.

One of my close friends works on kodiak. His needs are different than mine so he wears Sitka storm front, in Kuiu that would be the Yukon.

What do you need your rain gear to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
Yea I’m totally on board with rain gear makes noise. It’s rain gear, it’s purpose is to stay dry. I’d rather be a little louder than soaked. For myself I’m probably not going to be bushwhacking a and forging new ground. I’ll keep an eye out for something on the forums.

Canis

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m all about buy once, cry once. I’m just getting into buying real dedicated hunting clothing and piecing stuff together. I’ve come to the road block that is rain gear/shell. Looking at all the brands between Sitka, First Lite, KUIU..... etc..... some reviews I’ve read say that “X” rain gear is loud and noisy, while others say that being loud does not matter because it’s raining and your not trying to be quiet, because rain isn’t quiet. I want to get rain gear that is versatile enough to hunt in the rain gear and stalk reasonably quiet, going to keep me dry obviously, but also use as a shell on the cold mornings late season when your sitting on the glassing knob looking for a critter to cut the wind and keep heat in. Any personal experiences would be great. I’m willing to spend the money on a set from the top brands but not the most expensive of sets ranging north of $800+.
Hey. Our Nunavut Rain Jacket & Pants set up are perfect for what you are looking for. Made from Nylon 66 material its quite and light weight while still being extremely tough and hard wearing. Go check it out on our site https://www.canisathlete.com/products/nunavut-rain-jacket

Feel free to shoot any questions you might have our way.

We are running an Independence Day Sale - 20% OFF site wide, now is the perfect time to take advantage.

Cheers

Attachments

• CANIS_4th July Sale.jpg
    CANIS_4th July Sale.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

Jimss

WKR
I've used and abused my Sitka raingear for years. It isn't 100% quiet but it also isn't very noisy. There likely aren't many options for going through thick brush. It may be possible to wear a quiet cloth layer over your raingear....I've never seen a need for that and I'm pretty darn picky about noise. I hunt open country so usually spot and stalk game at longer distances. If you archery hunt...especially in brush I can see where it pays to be 100% quiet.

With that said, you can't go wrong with Sitka or Kuiu raingear. Make sure the jackets have pitzips!

I can’t remember the last time I actually wore rain gear. I’ve found I sweat more than normal and I get wet inside regardless, so I quit using it. If it’s raining stupid hard, the animals aren’t moving anyway so I’m not needing to move.

OP
H

heatstroke18

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t remember the last time I actually wore rain gear. I’ve found I sweat more than normal and I get wet inside regardless, so I quit using it. If it’s raining stupid hard, the animals aren’t moving anyway so I’m not needing to move.
Probably the most valuable information I’ve heard yet.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Valuable if you live in Colorado where rain doesn't settle in and last all day or multiple days. Different needs for occasional rain and afternoon showers, and prolonged soaking type rain that animals do still move around in. Mine serves a dual purpose as rain gear and as a wind shell. If I were hunting Colorado I would be packing an ultralight rain top and probably not take any rain pants. But, I live and hunt in central Idaho and weather here is considerably different. Once I go up to the panhandle then all bets are off. That country requires the best rain gear you can find.

HoneyDew

WKR
Unfortunately here in Western WA when it rains out the games out.

I lived in western Washington for 14 years and still never used rain gear. However, I was 20 years younger and thought I was a bad ass. If I lived there now I’d be investing in a set of rain gear.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I lived in western Washington for 14 years and still never used rain gear. However, I was 20 years younger and thought I was a bad ass. If I lived there now I’d be investing in a set of rain gear.
With age comes wisdom lol

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sitka makes the Thunderhead series which is much more quiet than typical rain gear because it features a brushed face fabric. It's a great option for guys who are trying to be as quiet as possible, but it lacks durability. We have found that the Cloudburst series from Sitka is a great happy medium between durability, pack-ability, and quietness. The new Stone Glacier M5 is also pretty sweet! We have only been able to use it this spring, but so far we have no complaints!

I am in the same boat as you. Though its been 15 years I spent good money for at the time one of the best rain gear (Mt050). It has rarely kept me dry. I am naturally a sweater when I am active and I am pretty sure I was getting wet from the inside. I am feeling from now on if I need the protection I will hunker down and don a poncho.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I've used and abused my Sitka raingear for years. It isn't 100% quiet but it also isn't very noisy. There likely aren't many options for going through thick brush. It may be possible to wear a quiet cloth layer over your raingear....I've never seen a need for that and I'm pretty darn picky about noise. I hunt open country so usually spot and stalk game at longer distances. If you archery hunt...especially in brush I can see where it pays to be 100% quiet.

With that said, you can't go wrong with Sitka or Kuiu raingear. Make sure the jackets have pitzips!

Which Sitka raingear are you using? I have the Cloudburst, and am quite happy with it, although it doesn't get a lot of use in my October New Mexico and Colorado hunts.

Jimss

WKR
My older pair is Nimbus and newer ones are the Downpour (I believe).

SMOKYMTN

WKR
All rain gear is noisy. The stuff that isn't, doesn't work, and wets out easy and takes forever to dry.

That's why all the brushed exterior rain gear typically had a mesh liner. I have an old Cabela's bib rain suit that does just fine at keeping me dry but is rather heavy and lot less breathable than modern options. I am going to purchase a new rainsuit once I find that this doesn't suit me anymore.